Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to lift my 96 legacy wagon

My rear struts are out and it's time to get new struts. I've heard that Forester struts are compatible with legacy (i have the regular not the outback) and add some clearance. Im wondering if this is true and if it is, is there anything I need to know about adding Forester struts to my legacy that is outside the normal strut installation procedure?

Fronts are easy with the camber adjustment.  It will usually bring it in.

Rears, i use a smaller dia bolt on the top to allow the camber adjustment.  They do sell camber bolts.  I've used the lower hub to trailing arm bolts on the top and if you tilt the wheel all the way in you will be close.

Outbacks do have a longer steering wheel to rack link and about 1" lift blocks between the cross members and the body.

On the Impreza OBS I've lifted you also need the rear trailing arm to body bracket to center the rear wheel in the wheel well. 

short answer is Yes, the Forester struts (and springs) will fit on your Legacy.

As lmdew mentioned, there may be some minor alignment issues, but those can sorted out.

I did this on a 95 Legacy a few years back.. loved the added height and the ability to put the Forester 15in wheels on it.

While the rear trailing arm is recommended, it is not a "must" if you can live with the rear wheels not being perfectly centered in the opening. I had no rubbing issues with my 95, but yeah, it was noticeable that the wheel was slightly forward in the wheel well...

on car full.jpg

you will want Legacy Outback struts not Forrester.  Especially for the rear.  

Forester frmaes are different, made so the mounts are lower, and they use a shorter sturt with less clearance at the spring perch.

Rears you want are KYB 335020/021 

Fronts you need KYB 235632/633

Good used KYB set from a self serve yard about $40 each.  

2" about.  You only need the trailing arm bracket that bolts to the body.  It's the part that is longer.  Take it easy on the bolts and use PB blaster or some other lube.  The nuts are welded to the frame and I've had them break loose.  They are also easy to cross thread so make sure they properly thread in.  

15 hours ago, Wizard said:

Will I want to get outback springs as well? How much will outback struts raise my legacy? 

No you can reuse your springs.

About 2" lift.  

Rear trailing arm bracket isn't necessary.  But it's easy and does help keep alignment and wheel centered in the well.