Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1985 wagon gl fan blower location

Hey Newtome85 wagon, I'd like to see photos of your new to you wagon!  I use the free photo software "IMGUR" and it makes it pretty easy to add photos to your threads.  You upload them there first and then IMGUR provides "links" to your photo which you "copy" and then "paste" right into your USMB post.  It's pretty easy once you create your free account and learn how to upload them there ...and then use the "link to the photo" here on the USMB in your threads.   The USMB members really likes photos to see what's happening, what you have, what you need etc.  The above post from Loyale 2.7 Turbo is very detailed about the relay problems and fixes... 

You can also visit my profile and you should be able to see a history and stored photos, etc. of my sweet old 1985 GL Wagon and a bunch of posts from me through the years.  Hopefuly this info helps you.   I'll check back here as well with hopefully some other helpful links and information as I can.  There are some other links about the relay-AC-blower problems and fixes and I'll try to add them here.  Also, hopefully (since I never fixed that problem) another board member may join in here to help you. 

Take care with that wagon and she wont let you down...

Cheers, Aaron

Cheers and good luck with the wagon.

Great link here:

Click on the link to the Old Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual.  Look up the section: "Heating / Cooling Systems" and then "Heater Fan Speeds" and "Resister Pack Info".  Your fan and blower (squirrel cage fan) and all that I think is in good working order.  I had all that stuff out and gone through when I did the AC system add on and I cleaned everything, looked, it over, replaced anything that needed it with better parts, etc.  from my spare parts.   I put a lot into swapping in that AC and then not that long after the fan stopped working and it really was a let down.  Because the wagon wasn't a daily driver, I let the fan issue sit.  I'll add other links too.  Cheers

Also a great resource if the "How To Keep Your Subaru Alive 1975-1988" ...HTKYSA pdf file can be found online or it used to be available online digitally.  Not sure anymore.  I'm sure with some searching you can find a digital or a hard copy of the book: https://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Subaru-Alive/dp/0945465114

It's a great and maybe the best resource along with the Subaru Factory Service Manuals (FSM) for these old wagons. 

Cheers and take care,

Aaron