Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New discovery... late model XT seats BOLT IN to Loyales!!!!

Yes, you read it right! I snagged some blue XT seats out of an 88 wedge at the boneyard this weekend, and set to replace the gray ones in my blue interior today with them. I laid them in there to see how they would look... and whaddya know... 3 of the mount holes lined up perfectly, unlike the older GL/DL models.

Here's why...

85-89 GL/DL series cars only have 4 seat bolts, 1 at each corner.

85-87 XT's also have 4 seat bolts, 1 at each corner. The rear bolts are 3 inches farther back than the GL/DL ones.

87.5-91 XT's have 5 bolt holes. 1 at each front corner, 1 at the rear outboard, and TWO at the rear inboard. The one they added is a bit father back and takes a 16mm (:confused: ) bolt.

90-94 Loyales have SIX bolt holes on the driver's seat and 5 on the passenger. Similar setup to the XT's, just with another 16mm bolt added behind the first.

So... here's where it gets interesting. On these 88 XT seats... the 5th bolt hole lined up!! So, 3 bolts went directly in, and the fourth (rear outboard), well, it was a straight shot, just 3 inches too far back. Used a 3 1/2" M8x1.25 bolt to keep it from moving around too much, and the seat feels rock solid. Only other mod I had to do was to swap the lap belt buckle, as the XT buckles are smaller.

In summary... if both the donor XT and the recipient sedan/wagon have automatic belts, the XT seat swap is pretty much a bolt-in job! Unfortunately if you have an 85-89 car or seats from an 85-87 XT, you'll still need to do the old rail swap and mod.

No, I actually did it. I think what Jim means is that when intalling the seats in an 85-89 car or using 85-87 XT seats you need to swap the seat rails. I had done that in my 2 87 wagons. It's not hard, but doing what I just talked about above is SO much easier- provided that you have the right car and seats.

yes, their sides are much more snug and grip you better when driving aggressively, and they look cooler. unfortunately, my wagon is an 86 and the XT6 seats I have for it will require the modifications mentioned above.

that's right, Chris, I still haven't put them in yet :P

i bet the trogdor fit has to do with power belts, and a more similarity around that with the lotale anmd the xt floors based on the overhead belt structure.

i can imagine what trogdor nmeas, if both having auto belts, and the difference in the loy-a floor and the xt, one rail protruding slihtly farther past ithe mounting hole, hence the longer bolt

the ones i used in wagons, mine and jim's, mine from an xt6 (88? tom?) and jim's from an 86

on both i used GL-10 rails to swap the tracks, to preserve the height adjustments(gl seats would have no atatchment in back

the driver rails were a direct swap, but the slide lever interferes withteh xt adjustment, so the locking tabs have to be bent out, the cable has to be re-bent to take a little slack out.

the passenger seats have to get the rear holes drilled, a bolt and nuton each, and one side needs a spacer(lug nut works). any seat rail will work for the passenger, but you will lose the 2-door slide forward function from the rear foot lever. but i am certainly assume rx seat rails will work, it has to.

my application from the wagon, the seats swapped into the rx the same fit

• 2 months later...