Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wheel Bearings

nipper

I have a freind with a crosstek that roars. He called the dealership and they said "It's probably wheel bearings we see a lot of them". Hes got only 57K on the car. Doing a google search its not red flagged, but it does seem they are failing between 50-60K if they fail.

12 hours ago, nipper said:

I have a freind with a crosstek that roars. He called the dealership and they said "It's probably wheel bearings we see a lot of them". Hes got only 57K on the car. Doing a google search its not red flagged, but it does seem they are failing between 50-60K if they fail.

Got it - a higher bearing failure ***rate*** is the new norm for *a wide range* of vehicles, not just crosstek's or Subaru's.  Plenty still make 150,000 miles without issues, but it's no surprise to see a few early failures like this. 

For illustration purposes only, these numbers are inaccurate, but 20 years ago let's say early bearing failure happened 5% of the time, now it's 15%.  That would mean it's a crazy high 300% failure rate increase but plenty still never see issues either.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nipper said:

Another reason to keep my 2005 Outback

I'm not sure - but if I had to guess I'd guess the 2005's also have a higher failure rate of wheel bearings.  i don't see enough Subaru's to know, but all things being equal (which is nearly impossible now due to age/miles of older stuff) but i'd guess like somewhere in the 90's and earlier fail less often at lower miles than late 90's until now. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, rustfarmer said:

Our 2013 needed both rears at 90K. Dealer charged $1200, but at least they changed one again 20K later when it failed too without charge. I am used to my older cars getting 300K from rear bearings.

There’s a significant chance only one bearing was bad.  shops often quote or replace two bearings for a couple of reasons, when in reality it’s not necessary and only one side is bad.

$1,200 is high. $200 parts, they finished in 2 hours. Most excellent independents should come in under $400 per hour.