Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AC works for a minute, then stops

Hi! '94 EA82 SPFI. AC compressor comes on for a minute & blows cold, then stops. Alligator clip the compressor clutch wire to +12v it stays on! Can't believe the system still has pressure and works! Pulser is working sending AC voltage when compressor is spinning. AC relay is good. Next ideas? Wiring to the A/C amplifier? Where is the AC amplifier? Or should I just hot wire the compressor clutch through a switch on the dash? 

• 5 weeks later...

This resolved when I pulled the whole dash. Found the AC amplifier on the evaporator box... it says amplifier right on it so yay for obvious labeling. It can be gotten to through the glove box. Lots of mouse debris in the evap box I'm sure better airflow helps. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Been driving it all summer with max ac on and all good! Can really feel the compressor kicking on and off it sure takes some power out of the little motor. Still, 30.5 mpg doing mostly highway ain't bad for this old a car. 

• Like 1