Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I need to move this car 70km, and the flatbed quotes I'm getting are too high, given the circumstances, so I'm considering DIY.

First, the information out there (apparently from Subaru) is that flat towing is okay for a car with a manual transmission.  Does anyone have facts that contradict this?

Second, how to attach my A-frame tow bar?  The adapters I have attach via a single bolt (on each side) to/through the bumper/frame - fine for towing old Detroit iron like my Ramblers and Dakota with big steel bolted-on bumpers.  But how about the WRX?  Taking the bumper off to get at the frame seems like a terrible idea - the parts guy at the local dealer told me that the clips that hold it on are worth more than the bumper itself.  So has anyone fabbed an adapter that bolts to the front tiedowns, then reaches down and forward to clear the bumper and connect to the tow bar?  Or does someone manufacture towing adapters like this?  Am I even thinking in the right direction? 

Btw, if we go the DIY route, we do have a 2005 Legacy GT handy that we can use as a model.  Is that close enough to the 2010 WRX?

You certainly can flat tow a manual trans subaru.  But, IMO, you are gonna put more work into fabbing something safe than you will spend on a 35 mile tow.

Can't be more than about $150~200.  Unless you plan on towing it ALOT, I don't think it's worth it to make a tow bar.

You would really need to attach to not on;y the tow hooks but a "stay" at the bumper lever too.  Have to take the cover off to fab something proper.  Or buy a kit, which I'm sure is sold, but that's expensive...more than a tow.

05 outback and '10 WRX are nothing alike in the frames.  You'd need to build it onto the WRX directly.  IIRC, bumper clips are not that expensive....maybe $40 for all of them if you broke every one.  Buy them aftermarket on EBay and they are even cheaper...way cheaper.

3 hours ago, jonathan909 said:

I'm struggling a little with this - just need a one-time hack that'll work "well enough".

if you can fab, it's really not a hard thing.

The bumper coming off isn't that hard.  Just intimidating.  Buy a clip tool and it's easy.

Look up using a tow dolly w/the front wheels on the dolly and rear wheels dragging.  I've done it multiple times buy disconnecting the driveline @ the rear diff. There are 4 12mm bolts, so it's easy. Uhaul is <$100. if one-way 1/2 that if you return it to the same place. But since you're up north may be different. It's covered on here more than once. Of course, you need something big enough for the tow dolly + the WRX or Uhaul won't rent it.

Do the WRX's brakes work?

I don't know your road/route/rules but my dad towed a VW Bug behind his Chevy truck  - w/just a chain - across WA state on I90 @  60 MPH, w/my sister driving the bug....no problem.

I'm sure that GT could handle that too.

Edited by wtdash

I just don't think U-Haul does those things up here, but it's worth looking into.  One complication is that the car is (predictably) dead, but we should be able to winch it onto a trailer like that with a comealong.

Edited by jonathan909

10 hours ago, Suzam said:

AutoTransportMedium.png

Wouldn't it be easier to rent a u-haul trailer?

By far the safest and cheapest way to do it if you’ve got a tow vehicle capable of doing it - or hire a suitable tow vehicle too. 

One issue is the low suspension on the WRX. You may have to get creative to get it up on the trailer, namely under the belly or the “ramp over” clearance.  With my Gen1 RS turbo I have to either drive the tow vehicle’s rear end onto ramps (works with an empty trailer) or unhitch was he trailer and let the weightnof the vehicle lift the front of the trailer making a flatter ramp over angle to negotiate. Hook up again and go once all tied down.

Cheers 

Bennie

Do you have AAA? It’s one of the best deals I know of. Here in Texas at least if you get the premium level, which is about 120 a year if you allow automatic renewal on your card, they give you 4 tows a year, one of which can be 200 miles. I’d look on their site and see the cost and deals they have in your state. It’s a reall great service too they’re very prompt and if you tell them they bring out a flatbed and take it to your mechanic if you designate that. I’ve often had a tow where they came out in the country from Houston 75 miles and took me that far back.

Edited by 1997reduxe
  • Like 1

CAA might move it if you tell  them it needs repair but the shop where it is isn't going to fix it and that they may start charging you a fee for storage if you don't move it.

Technically that's true, since the shop won't be fixing it (your choice), and I bet they could start charging storage.

Just call CAA and simply request them to move the car without too much detail, if you get the right person who doesn't ask a lot of questions they might do it.

I sold my wrecked Legacy that was in my driveway and called AAA and had them tow it to the buyers home. No questions asked because it was the first call to have that specific car towed from that location. I just supplied the pick up and drop off addresses.

Situation's rather more complicated than that.  STBPOIH (Soon to be previous owner, I hope), who is a FOAF, left it there after a failed DIY oil change that resulted in a blown motor.  It's been sitting for 14 months because he was severely dispirited by this (and other life events).  Why the shop has allowed this is unknown to me.  We're talking about my taking it off his hands for scrap price (or not too much more, I also hope), hence the need for the haul.  A few possibilities have surfaced since my original post, including some local (to me) guys who may be flatbedding another car up into the neighborhood of where this one is and were otherwise going to deadhead the return.  And if that doesn't fly, I just heard from another friend that U-Haul indeed does carry flatbeds up here - total news to me.  So it'll get sorted out...

So to return to the original suggestion:  With some effort I might be able to convince CAA to do it, but I'd be conning them.  Sometimes I'm okay with that, but not so much this time.

Edited by jonathan909
  • Like 1