Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy sometimes stuck in park

My 18 year old daughter bought a 95 Legacy as her first car (175,000 miles). Sometimes it won’t come out of park. I saw some videos on YouTube about how one can remove the shifter cover and use a screw driver to depress a button to get out of park. So far we have just rocked the car back and forth and that works great.

Also sometimes the starter doesn’t turn over as if the battery connection is bad. But normally one hears a click or something if that is the case. But the car is silent. I did service the battery connection too just to be sure.

Usually rocking the car back and forth solves that problem too, or slamming the hood down.

So I’m guessing there must be some switch somewhere that needs replacing. Any suggestions where to start?

Rocking the car moves the transmission which is probably causing slight motion of the shifter cable which actuates the inhibitor switch on the side of the transmission. Sounds like you should start by adjusting the switch/cable for the proper park position engagement. The switch assembly is NLA from Subaru so if you must replace it, a used one will need to be sourced. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

I inspected the neutral safety/inhibitor switch and the two holes lined up pretty good but I loosened up all three screws and turned it counterclockwise as far as it goes. It was almost there anyway. Holes are perhaps even better aligned now. My daughter is working on getting her drivers license so we took the car out for a 2 hour drive and had no issues with the shifter getting stuck in park or the starter motor not working.  So hopefully this solved the problem.

• Like 1

doesn't sound like your issue. (think you nailed yours)

But I have seen trouble from the Park/Brake pedal interlock solenoids too.

It's a solenoid under the shifter that pulls the locking pin out of the way.  It on;y activates when foot is on the brake pedal.  This prevents accidental bumping out of P.

Problem is people spill sodas and lattes down there, and then solenoid gets sticky and doesn't want to operate.  Sometimes repeated pushing of the brake pedal will eventually give it enough to go.  But when they fail, you have to use a stick or screwdriver to manual press the interlock.  Or, remove the solenoid and never have the problem again.  Not recommended for those with dogs and/or kids.

Similarly, there is a solenoid in the Ignition (key) that prevents taking the key out, until the shifter is in P.  Seen that fail once.  Fixed it by disconnecting it electrically and ziptie it's tab out of the way.  Not as much of a safeety issue, just keeps you from taking key until car is in park so defeating that system isn't as risky.