Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 93 legacy awd is not workin I have changed out the transmission all axles and the rear end and it still is not working. The fwd fuse when in the fwd light comes on and goes off when taken out. Is there something else I can check? I would have thought swapping everything out would have fixed the problem. Everything worked great when it was in the other car. 

We have the "no AWD/inconsistent AWD" engagement issue on our 1999 Forester.  There are times when I mash the throttle in the snow and the front wheels dig like crazy while the rear end just hangs about until you lift off the throttle, then BANG!!!  AWD engages as if nothing was wrong.  Even feels inconsistent when shifted into 1-2 on the AT shifter.

I've read this is caused by the Duty-C solenoid but also center diff clutch pack could be going bad.  I also read a TSB that suggested swapping to a later TCU that had a less harsh AWD engagement program.  I'm not sure where to start.

17 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Scope the signal to the duty-c solenoid.

GD

This is the correct diagnostic method, to see if the TCU is telling the transfer solenoid to activate.

Even though you've changed the transmission, I'd still bet it's the solenoid and/or clutches. This was such a common failure, when I worked at a Subaru dealer, we stocked all that stuff (Duty C solenoid, clutches, and all gaskets).

All I have is the front working. When I drive through snow or hit an icy hill only the front tires spin nothing from the rear. I pulled everything but the motor out of my rusty 93 legacy that the awd was working in up until I installed them in this car. I will scope the tcu and see if thats the problem. Thank you all for the feedback.