Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Subaru Impreza duty c and driveshaft

Hello. First time owning an automatic subaru. The car is a 97 imprezza outback sport. I hope this is the right area of the forums

The issue
Slight torque bind when tight turns at low speed
At oil temp flashing 16 times at startup (cleared code)
Code shows up immediately again after next startup.
Fwd fuse inserted and no fwd light inside.
I checked the ob85(i think it's called) 2 long flash 4 fast (24)

Anyways so I'm pretty sure it's the duty c solenoid is bad. My question is can i disconnect the back half of drive axle and use it as a fwd car would that fix it from wearing until i am able in month or two to work on the solenoid once it gets warmer or will this cause damage to the rear. 

I'm ordering these for the job and will do it as soon as possible if the general consensus is I'll cause damage by removing half the drive shaft. It's just pretty cold out and i have no days off for the next while and i need to drive a vehicle.

Thank you in advance for all the future help.

Screenshot-20190324-193038.pngnearest exxon

If you have the 2 part rear drive shaft, yes you could remove the rear half and drive in FWD.  

The drive shaft FWD yoke into the trans keeps the fluid in, so it has to stay.

If you can get a lift for the repair it's much easier.  The most time is spent cleaning the gasket surfaces.  The wire is very short so when you pull the tail shaft back, take it easy.  I'd leave a bolt or two in with a 1/2" of space to keep it close when you break it free.

Watch the Thrust Washer

Take note of how the spring is located on the parking lock link.

Larry

• Like 1

Thank you for the response. I've just seen a few conflicting opinions on removing the rear half of drive shaft some say it causes damage to the rear. I don't know how it would, but i figured someone here would know. One thought will anything in the transmission detect no load in the rear and try to compensate for it or am i way off. Thanks

Edited by Blackop555
Spelling error

43 minutes ago, Blackop555 said:

Thank you for the response. I've just seen a few conflicting opinions on removing the rear half of drive shaft some say it causes damage to the rear. I don't know how it would, but i figured someone here would know. One thought will anything in the transmission detect no load in the rear and try to compensate for it or am i way off. Thanks

It will not create any damage.

As long as you have the type with 3 U-joints.  You can unbolt it at the flange in the middle.

If you have a driveline with a CV type middle joint, you cannot separate it in the middle like that.

Edited by FerGloyale

38 minutes ago, Blackop555 said:

Thank you for the response. I've just seen a few conflicting opinions on removing the rear half of drive shaft some say it causes damage to the rear. 

It's fine - you can run them indefinitely. in FWD. done it lots of times and some for years. 

anyone that says damage will incur, you will also notice, or find out, is speaking anecdotally.  take it with a grain of salt.  

Edited by idosubaru