Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cleanest Loyale ever! Nissan KA-24 swap coming soon.

14 hours ago, DaveT said:

There was a modification kit available from Subaru to fix the oil burn on long hard right turns problem.  I have it on both of me EA82 powered wagons.  Problem gone.

I was looking into that but honestly I hate the thought of crank case fumes and oil being thrown into the intake. Plus my method is cheaper and simpler 

7 hours ago, MonkeyWrencher said:

I was looking into that but honestly I hate the thought of crank case fumes and oil being thrown into the intake. Plus my method is cheaper and simpler 

And way worse for the engine too!

You're engine bay is gonna be an oily nasty mess really quickly.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

And way worse for the engine too!

You're engine bay is gonna be an oily nasty mess really quickly.

No sir, I extended the breather hoses so she dumps under the car. 

I got a 318 small block that the old man deleted all the pcv and smog in the 80's, he put over 300.000 km on that motor and it runs very strong to this day!

Also my brother has a 1968 Corrola, all original with 200.000 ish km the pcv dumped into atmosphere from factory.  That beast never miss's a beat! 

39 minutes ago, MonkeyWrencher said:

No sir, I extended the breather hoses so she dumps under the car. 

I got a 318 small block that the old man deleted all the pcv and smog in the 80's, he put over 300.000 km on that motor and it runs very strong to this day!

Also my brother has a 1968 Corrola, all original with 200.000 ish km the pcv dumped into atmosphere from factory.  That beast never miss's a beat! 

Well in my mind that is worse.

Just dump yer oil on the ground eh?  Honestly I'd report you if you lived here.  Dumping oil on the ground is totally against dozens of laws and regulations.

Thanks for being a self centered polluter rather than figure out what a proven and time tested way of dealing with the vapor is.  OH WAIT!  Subaru already figured it out but you think you are smarter than an entire auto industry convention that works in MILLIONS OF CARS around the world.

You want to feel like you're doing something.  But all you are really doing is taking away well engineered features and placebo-ing yourself into thinking you are "improving" stuff.  All at the expense of the environment.  

As for the 86 corrola.  No.  By definition the PCV cannot "dump to atmosphere.  It means Positive Crankcase Ventilation.  Venting to atmosphere would be passive ventilation.  And I can guarantee that would not have been the stock setup on an 86 corolla.  I don't think you understand how a PCV system works.  You should put down the cutters and welder and pick up a book.

This is by far NOT the cleanest loyale ever.  But one of the more hacked up I've seen for sure.

Edited by FerGloyale
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, FerGloyale said:

And way too tall and heavy to fit in the loyale.

MAYBE if you used an entire Nissan front suspension.  Maybe.

Will NOT fit in the loyale with it's stock crossmember/suspension.

Doesn't matter because obvious by the Redneckeery goin on in this thread, you will never swap in anything.

Great job F-in up a car that's lasted in really nice condition for years.

EGR lowers cyl temperatures.  If you understood it, you'd have known it wasn't necessary to weld the intake side of that pipe if you've blocked off the port with the beer can.

PCV removes corrosive gasses from the engine oil

Hillholders are awesome.  Only annoying to those who can't figure out how to use them.

Coolant Temp sensor is possibly one of the MOST important sensor to making the car run right.  

You left the D-check connectors, but cut out the white, U-check connector that ACTUALLY IS THE PAIR THAT OUTPUTS STORED CODES!!!  And now you won't be able to use the "clear memory" either.  That requires BOTH sets of connectors.

The 4wd transfer cannot handle 90hp in RWD for long, let alone 200hp.  Guaranty you break it within 3 months.  Especially if yer trying to "drift"

That car will not start in the winter.  It will probably be ruined by then anyhow.  Oh wait, never mind, it's already ruined.  But it's yer car so "tweek" on it all you want.

The KA could fit in if ya modify the oil pan for rear sump, plus it would sit further back in the engine bay right against the firewall which would reduce understeer. Yes it's a bit tall but if I go that route I'll be dropping the cross member and modifying the hood so it could close.  

Nissan's use torsion bars so that's not gunna work lol, all ya need is stiffer springs in the front and she'll me mint. 

If I recall correctly Loyale 2.7 turbo put a 6 cylinder engine in a loyale and did the suspension mods, so I think I'm good in that category.

And yeah hillholders are awesome when there working right.  but my hill holder would lock the front wheels whenever it rolled backwards so get rid of that garbage.

Back in 2015 I had a rwd suby converted to rwd and my buddy's still rallying it to this day! Just be smart, don't rev n dump the clutch and it will last!

I understand how egr works, if you read my post you'll see that i said that I welded "just because".

I could care less about u-check and d-check, I'd rather use a voltmeter and test the hardware by hand. Besides she never ran better so I won't be needing to read codes and bogus. 

I change my engine oil every 2500 km so corroding the oil isn't an issue.

The car starts up very well in the winter, all ya gotta do is hold the throttle at 2000 rpm for 10 seconds then let off, it idles great.

That's ignorant saying that that the car will probably be ruined by net winter, I know how to handle my riggs! 

1 minute ago, MonkeyWrencher said:

The KA could fit in if ya modify the oil pan for rear sump, plus it would sit further back in the engine bay right against the firewall which would reduce understeer. Yes it's a bit tall but if I go that route I'll be dropping the cross member and modifying the hood so it could close.  

Nissan's use torsion bars so that's not gunna work lol, all ya need is stiffer springs in the front and she'll me mint. 

If I recall correctly Loyale 2.7 turbo put a 6 cylinder engine in a loyale and did the suspension mods, so I think I'm good in that category.

And yeah hillholders are awesome when there working right.  but my hill holder would lock the front wheels whenever it rolled backwards so get rid of that garbage.

It's too tall.

The ER27 weighs about 350-400 lbs

The KA24 weights about 650lbs. It's an iron block

And it's too long.

Whatever man like I said "tweek" away bro.  

Since all you've proven to be able to do is disable part on the car, I know for sure you won't get a KA24 in there.  If you do, it will be total mess and the car will be ruined.

19 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

Well in my mind that is worse.

Just dump yer oil on the ground eh?  Honestly I'd report you if you lived here.  Dumping oil on the ground is totally against dozens of laws and regulations.

Thanks for being a self centered polluter rather than figure out what a proven and time tested way of dealing with the vapor is.  OH WAIT!  Subaru already figured it out but you think you are smarter than an entire auto industry convention that works in MILLIONS OF CARS around the world.

You want to feel like you're doing something.  But all you are really doing is taking away well engineered features and placebo-ing yourself into thinking you are "improving" stuff.  All at the expense of the environment.  

As for the 86 corrola.  No.  By definition the PCV cannot "dump to atmosphere.  It means Positive Crankcase Ventilation.  Venting to atmosphere would be passive ventilation.  And I can guarantee that would not have been the stock setup on an 86 corolla.  I don't think you understand how a PCV system works.  You should put down the cutters and welder and pick up a book.

This is by far NOT the cleanest loyale ever.  But one of the more hacked up I've seen for sure.

Damn your a snowflake ehh? Saying that you'd report me hahaha. She doesn't even spew oil from the breathers, I ran open breathers under the hood for thousands of km's and never once had an oily mess. 

So far the only thing that's self centered is you, always gotta criticize when your clearly in the wrong!

I said 68 corolla not 86 so yes it was factory, look it up it uses a road draft tube for the pcv from factory. I know how a pcv works haha

Edited by MonkeyWrencher

12 minutes ago, MonkeyWrencher said:

Damn your a snowflake ehh? Saying that you'd report me hahaha. She doesn't even spew oil from the breathers, I ran open breathers under the hood for thousands of km's and never once had an oily mess. 

So far the only thing that's self centered is you, always gotta criticize when your clearly in the wrong!

I said 68 corolla not 86 so yes it was factory, look it up it uses a road draft tube for the pcv from factory. I know how a pcv works haha

If it doesn't make a mess, why would you need to extend them?  If oil didn't reach the valve cover ports, then how was it you had smoking on right turns?  Boxers are particularly sensitive to needing proper venting of the crankcase.  

I would absolutely report you.   Blocking the EGR or even gutting a catalytic is one thing, but dumping yer oil onto the ground when there is NO REASON ON EARTH to do so is just ignorant and destructive to the environment.   This doesn't make me a snowflake. It makes me a citizen that cares about laws AND cares about the environment.  It makes me smart and aware and you calling me names shows your ignorance, and false-entitlement to be a polluter for no reason.  YOU just showed your true colors as a fool.

68 corolla? Okay, I read that wrong, but  yeah, a 50 year old design is about right. That would be about the last time a gas engine was sold without a PCV setup. They created the PCV setup soon after and it's been working fine since. 

All of your "evidence" is anecdotal.  You are clearly very young and cocksure.  Like I said.  "tweek" away bro.  Live and learn.  Gain some humility and perspective.  

Ive been driving Subarus longer than you've been on this earth.  

You came onto a Subaru board, started a post called "THE CLEANEST LOYALE EVER"  A very bold, and completely laughable claim.  You HAD a kinduv clean loyale, and then you bastardized it into a hack job.  THEN, you bragged yer gonna put a Nissan motor in it?  Did you think we would think that's cool?  Just get a damn Nissan if you want a KA and rear wheel drive.  You took away the 4wd and yer talking about taking away the boxer motor?  Those are the 2 defining features of what makes subarus great.  

What was the response you were expecting?  Should we all bow at your marvelous ability of removing perfectly functional system and hacking in problematic no-fixes?  You are the one who named youself "monkeywrencher"  Funny.  That's a term for a tool that screws working stuff up.  Appropriate.  

Oh pish tosh boys! What we need here is aa couple pizzas and a case of pbr!

When you build something you wanna youre bound to offend some peoples sensibilities! When i told people id be slamming my 85xt i got a "jesus no!" But people have installed small block chevys in these things and kept 4wd! Build her how ya wanna.

There are areas in co where emissions are not required for registration. You should see the nonsense that goes on there! Im talking full race setups here. Diesels pollute a lot more than pcv to atmosphere.

Btw fellas, i delete all my egr and pcv crap too but im too lazy to route anything, i use press on filters like on the chevys works fine and clean with brake cleaner. I keep my engine bays clean af to eat off. Hot chicks love that. :P

@MonkeyWrencher dodges and subarus eh? You seem like my kinda guy. I was raised to love chevys and boulder, co made me a "subaru hippie guru" (someones compliment seeing my ej swap) 

I love chevy, subaru and bmw in that order, but dig all pre 90s. Noone made a prettier two door compact than the chevette, including gorgeous subarus. And we can debate in a seperate thread if anyone disagrees!

Cheers boys!

WP_20161122_003_zps9gze26up.thumb.jpg.ec4eaf44269033036ec9b65648891132.jpg

^ My 77 camaro and 86 gl w/ej22. Cammy and the baby lion.

1543547326_shit2008.thumb.jpg.d55a08828928083e01a53a35682c56db.jpg

^ 85 xt ghost.

55560487_828294744170350_839166439321711

^ what you boys know about this? My ej22 gl in 4hi will murder a 325ix in the snow i wonder how this is? 325ix is a beast in the snow btw.

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MonkeyWrencher said:

Damn your a snowflake ehh?

Hey kid, lose the ******* attitude.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread because there is nothing of interest here, but I'm not going to judge.  It's your car though, do with it as you please.  However, you clearly don't understand the origins of your "insult".  I suggest you rethink your use of that term, you never know when you might run into someone bigger and meaner than you who doesn't appreciate being called a snowflake.

"In the 1970s snowflake was a disparaging term for a white man or for a black man who was seen as acting white. It was also used as a slang term for cocaine. But before either of those it was used for a time with a very particular political meaning. In Missouri in the early 1860s, a "Snowflake" was a person who was opposed to the abolition of slavery—the implication of the name being that such people valued white people over black people. The Snowflakes hoped slavery would survive the country's civil war..."

16 hours ago, sparkyboy said:

Oh pish tosh boys! What we need here is aa couple pizzas and a case of pbr!

When you build something you wanna youre bound to offend some peoples sensibilities! When i told people id be slamming my 85xt i got a "jesus no!" But people have installed small block chevys in these things and kept 4wd! Build her how ya wanna.

There are areas in co where emissions are not required for registration. You should see the nonsense that goes on there! Im talking full race setups here. Diesels pollute a lot more than pcv to atmosphere.

Btw fellas, i delete all my egr and pcv crap too but im too lazy to route anything, i use press on filters like on the chevys works fine and clean with brake cleaner. I keep my engine bays clean af to eat off. Hot chicks love that. :P

@MonkeyWrencher dodges and subarus eh? You seem like my kinda guy. I was raised to love chevys and boulder, co made me a "subaru hippie guru" (someones compliment seeing my ej swap) 

I love chevy, subaru and bmw in that order, but dig all pre 90s. Noone made a prettier two door compact than the chevette, including gorgeous subarus. And we can debate in a seperate thread if anyone disagrees!

Cheers boys!

WP_20161122_003_zps9gze26up.thumb.jpg.ec4eaf44269033036ec9b65648891132.jpg

^ My 77 camaro and 86 gl w/ej22. Cammy and the baby lion.

1543547326_shit2008.thumb.jpg.d55a08828928083e01a53a35682c56db.jpg

^ 85 xt ghost.

55560487_828294744170350_839166439321711

^ what you boys know about this? My ej22 gl in 4hi will murder a 325ix in the snow i wonder how this is? 325ix is a beast in the snow btw.

Thats a sexxy cammy ya got there, How long have ya had the xt for? Never seen one in person but boy I sure heard about them!

I was raised with Dodge and Nissan's, especially pathfinders. Those riggs can sure take a beating!  

Here's my 1987 Dodge d150 with 318 on propane, she's all original numbers matching with only 89.000 km! She came from the local military base, I bought her at the auction.  

318.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

Hey kid, lose the ******* attitude.

I wasn't going to comment on this thread because there is nothing of interest here, but I'm not going to judge.  It's your car though, do with it as you please.  However, you clearly don't understand the origins of your "insult".  I suggest you rethink your use of that term, you never know when you might run into someone bigger and meaner than you who doesn't appreciate being called a snowflake.

"In the 1970s snowflake was a disparaging term for a white man or for a black man who was seen as acting white. It was also used as a slang term for cocaine. But before either of those it was used for a time with a very particular political meaning. In Missouri in the early 1860s, a "Snowflake" was —the implication of the name being that such people valued white people over black people. The Snowflakes hoped slavery would survive the country's civil war..."

Hey man I hate that it had to go that far, the last thing I wanna do is argue with someone over bogus, especially on the damn internet.

When I use the term snowflake it means someone who's sensitive and or delicate, that's all! Not 'acting white'. Not 'cocaine'. And definitely not 'a person who was opposed to the abolition of slavery! 

• Like 1

Oh, I know what you meant by it, which is why I told you to cut it the **** out.  I also provided you with the etymological history of that insult, so that you would know where it began and what the original connotation was, I expect they don't teach much U.S. history up in B.C.

little compromise. put a catch can in in for collecting the oil goo.  you can make one out of a pickle jar or a nicer once since you can weld.  benefits everyone, your motor will be happier without the gases in the case, nothing is dumped on the ground, no smoke on turns.

just cause you can doesnt mean you should.  theres no cost in performance or maintenance to collect your toxins in the catch can, so why not make things a little cleaner on the water system.

• Like 2

Vancouver island. Know for it’s clean environment and beauti.

and your just ganna haphazardly vent your oil everywhere.

Just at least put some filters on those vent tubes. Better yet do a catch can. 

if not I’ll drive my wagon over yours...

tho I am curious to see you try and pull of a ka swap... tho there’s plenty of ej’s floating around the island

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny im from Sooke l have a identical white wagon no rust real clean car. I also blocked off egr,vent valve covers,gutted both cats. First l drilled some breathing holes in the air box under the air cleaner now i've gone to a KnN 

13 hours ago, Gramr said:

Funny im from Sooke l have a identical white wagon no rust real clean car. I also blocked off egr,vent valve covers,gutted both cats. First l drilled some breathing holes in the air box under the air cleaner now i've gone to a KnN 

Congratulations!

You've now made your cylinder temps higher, your oil more acidic, and your exhaust dirtier!  Oh and yer intake air will now have lots more grit in it and be more likely to suck in water!

So Much Winning!

• Haha 2

If your refering to deleting my egr as increasing my cly temp how does that work as its used to speed up warming up the engine then shut off? If you drive in water past your cv,dif,eng seals and finaly to your air box well....l won't say what l think but it rhymes with tool. I vent my drivers head into my air box with a push on filter on right head l also charnge my oil soon as it gets dark in color. Where l work l use 20-30 gallons changing oil on equipment weekly so its free. I then dump it in a machine. I guess im a polluter gutting my cat but im not buying a new one and l don't really care. I do my best to stay out of the thro away society responsible for the sh#t hole our planet has become. I think l make up for it and don't give a crap what you think.

Happy whining

Gramr the Hammer

Thats not what the egr does, it replaces part of the fuel charge with exhaust gas under certain engine loads, mainly light throttle cruise when you dont need big booms to move the car.

The point as i see it isnt that your running without some system components, its that your pulling out things that do a job for everyone without stated cause and for no gain.

All your work has gained you, if im generous, 2 hp. 

Reality is that a 30 year old cat probably isnt doing that much anymore, but people remove them or mangle them as a "mod" for no benefit.  Your exhaust with a cat flows plenty for those crappy ea82 heads.  If your cat was plugged, then rock on, most of us wouldnt replace it, but to just tear it out for a .7% increase in power and then brag about it doesnt give you any cred.

Free oil still consumes oil.  Again the same principle, what are the goals your trying to achieve.  Routing to the airbox is ok, hopefully theres at least a bit of gases being sucked out, but a catch can should be a 1 hour project under $10 that actually fixes problems without increasing and consumption or pollutants.  You may have a unique way of disposal ecologically, but you motor will be happier as well and last longer.

Water doesnt only come in liquid form, fog, condensation, etc can get in through cracks and holes.  Not really complaining, thats just a your car thing.

This post has numerous people bragging or stating certain things as modifications that are more closely related to senseless damage.  Again, if your cats plugged, gut it.  Leaky egr and cant find a good one, block it.  Just dont expect too many props from individuals who know these systems when you say they arent usefull.

At the end of the day im happy your happy with your car, just do me a favor and have a reason other than a sense of (possibly false?) Acomplishment.

Points taken l like the catch can idea an will use it my cat was plugged mainly l think to the oil from the breather it was bad even running down and soaking the air filter as for egr it was carbon up open it went in steel bin and l have to say if l can get 2hp more out of a engine that at 30 years old has 70-80 hp i'll take it. This loyale l picked up for 200.oo came with new plugs wires , timing belts, TP sensor 2 sets of rubber over 70% mainly because it didn't run right was told it was for parts all it needed was the above deletes or fixes tweeks solutions to a problem put it anyway. Hats off to guys out there that can keep a old car tip top stock but its my daily driver backed up by four parts cars as ive got 6 grandkids I'd rather spend money on them l'd post a pic but have no idea how supposed to insert or somthing.

I've been trying to figure out how a egr cools the heads (plural) when it's plumbed into one head an inducing hot exhaust back into the intake i've believed get the heat out of a engine in anyway you can and cool the intake charge down as mutch as you can. I call myself a HD diesel mechanic but have been head mech in a car shop but don't hold a ticket in any. I've been back on heavy equipment for a decade now. I love all mechanical and spend most of my time in my shop.

Did some research apairently egr's are on the side of good not evil im gona get mine working funny ive been running with a hot head for 50+years maybe l need a egr.

Edited by Gramr
Learned somthing