Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can anyone help me identify this transmission?

Hello everyone. I’m new to the site . Just bought my first Subaru. A 1979 Brat I am attempting to resurrect. Anyways I picked up this transmission for $50. I was told it was a 5 Speed Subaru dual range. Can’t find any identitying marks on it. I need help, any ideas?

3DC19AF9-D8B4-43F2-ABF3-8C082C42A1EF.jpeg

97C080CA-7F84-4D02-BBBB-F625D021B8CF.jpeg

Yes it is a 5 spd dual range, but, oil dipstick & speedo drive are missing. 

Because of the grassy debris on it & in it(stuff in speedo drive hole), I'd be a little skeptical about condition of gearsets inside.

Better drain the oil into a clean pan & see what comes out.

I had planned to do this after I resurrect the brat and get it in running condition. Any idea what this might have come out of or what the modes number might be or where it is stamped on the housing? Also will this bolt up to an EJ22 with an adapter? 

13 hours ago, WWIIFanatic said:

I had planned to do this after I resurrect the brat and get it in running condition. Any idea what this might have come out of or what the modes number might be or where it is stamped on the housing? Also will this bolt up to an EJ22 with an adapter? 

Yes will bolt to EJ22 with adapter.

Came out of Carbed EA82, 85-87 Subaru GL.  Non-turbo..   Year/model range determined by the fact it has no Nuetral switch, and the LO switch is not on the rear of the case and those are 23 spline stubs

Be careful not ot let that 4wd selector lever rotate in it's bore.  That can crack the pot metal shifting fork in there.  The interlock pellets do not like to be compressed when that rod rotates.

Might want to pull that rear cover off the top and inspect just to make sure it's OK still.

• Like 1