Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WANTED

hope you don't mind if i add on to this post with a question of mine.

anyone know where to get those rubber bushings for the brackets that hold up the steering rack? my brat has alittle play from it being used as a ranch truck from 1984-1997 where it stayed parked till 2017.

That I may be able to help you with...try ERA Replica Automobiles in Connecticut. They are a Cobra kit car builder and used Subaru 77-79 racks at one time. 

I heard they have urethane bushings for racks of those years. 

I need a rack for my Cobra kit car.

Ken

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 5:29 AM, y22c said:

That I may be able to help you with...try ERA Replica Automobiles in Connecticut. They are a Cobra kit car builder and used Subaru 77-79 racks at one time. 

I heard they have urethane bushings for racks of those years. 

I need a rack for my Cobra kit car.

Ken

Yes it is possible to rebuild But I would try Cardone http://www.cardone.com/ first and see if they can do it for you.

Also try BBB industries (www.bbbindustries.com) they list a part number 21--0104 rack and pionion assembly.

I got one from them (their REMY brand) through "Rock Auto" 2-3 years ago.

when I rebuilt the whole front end of my Brat  the Steering ,Brakes, Struts, tie rods and bushings etc... lots of fun

I had to get creative with the Strut assemblies, I bought shocks for a 1982 brat new coils form MOOG calculated the required size needed and fabed a top cradle to fit

the result was a firmer ride, better control, and a system capable of handling more up front weight.  

I have kept the old one just in case I ever need to rebuild it.

Capture 01.JPG

Edited by subarujim01