Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Homemade Roof Rack 91 Loyale

Jes1991

Made this roof rack out of  galvanized steel and oak. Im quite proud of it! I copied the jeep stile drip rail mounts. Any questions, comments, or suggestions are welcome!

Note that welding galvanized metal is harmful to your lungs, so please take proper precautions!

20190331_172642-1612x907.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jes1991 said:

Note that welding galvanized metal is harmful to your lungs, so please take proper precautions!

oops...

very cool rack for being homemade! i love it! i've seen alot of homemade roof racks, but this one looks amazing! never would have thought those combinations would make it look nice.

• Thanks 1

I reckon that’ll serve you well! I’d probably look at adding some supports to the mounting brackets to reduce flex or future metal fatigue. 

On my L I’ve run with some roof rack that my dad got from a tip in the ‘70s. Fits perfectly and does the job, it’s a bit ratrod - and I’ve just picked up a tradies roof rack from a van, it’s almost double the size! So that’ll be cut down before long and fitted. I couldn’t go past it for $50! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, el_freddo said:

I reckon that’ll serve you well! I’d probably look at adding some supports to the mounting brackets to reduce flex or future metal fatigue.

Thanks! I plan on making the brackets out of stronger steel possibly this weekend and maybe adding a 3rd set to where the C pillars are. All the galvanized metal came from a scrap pile outside of a construction sight. But as it is, it can hold a 230 pound man no problems lol.