Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Install Timing Belt on JDM 2.0

It’s exactly the same as the 2.5 kit/setup if both are SOHC or DOHC. The tensioner setup can be different but a) this doesn’t ultimately change the belt setup and b) the tensioners are interchangable using their corresponding mount plates ;) 

Is this your first timing belt job?

Cheers 

Bennie

Edited by el_freddo

Install just the upper smooth, and lower cogged rollers.

Leave the compressed, pinned, tensioner off.

Leave the lower smooth roller off.  

Set the belt on lined up proper, then install the tensioner while holding belt in place.

Then push the lower roller up into place and bolt it in.

Double check the marks before and then again after pulling the pin on the tensioner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Double and triple check your work once you get it on. If you bend the valves on one of those JDM 2.0 engines you are $crewed. You can't buy them in the US. 

GD

Are you saying you can't buy the valves to replace in the heads?

And if so, couldn't one simply bolt on a set of SOHC 2.2 or 2.5 USDM heads?  Use the WRX 2.0 gaskets?

Edited by FerGloyale

Combustion chamber on the SOHC 2.0 heads is considerably smaller with smaller valves. The fire ring on the 2.0 gasket probably wouldn't be a good idea on the 2.5 heads. Might be able to use the 2.5 gasket if there is enough cylinder wall..... would produce an odd combustion chamber shape and lower compression..... if you are already buying dirt cheap EJ20 engines for your project I would wager that replacing the engine entirely would be easier and possibly about the same price/work as buying 2.5 heads and trying to cobble something together. 

But yes I tried to source some valves for a guy that bent up the valves on his JDM 2.0. Not available in the US. Found some on UK and AUS ebay....

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

It's not a huge deal, but valves/ heads not being USA spec. worth noting. Once you get a part number, Partsouq, Megazip and Amayama could be used to source the parts.  Beforward.jp has used and new parts direct but sometimes shipping is killer

I daily drive JDM vehicles ( Currently have a Suzuki Jimny, just sold my Suzuki Carry ). Parts can be hard to get, but it's mainly just expensive. Partsouq is quickest

I once saw a Suzuki Brute (?) , dunno which engine it had, 2 strke I guess cause the owner claimed you had to start the engine backwards and use 1st for reverse????

anyway, he said top speed was only about 40mph but it would climb anything. I was buying a Datsun SRL311 from him. Wish I still had it.......

Yup. LJ10/LJ20 were the first generations of the Jimny and the Brute was a sub model. 360cc 2 strokes.

Mine is a '93 Tin top which is kind of special because tin top did not come to the USA past 1989. But it uses the F6A 660cc engine with an RHB 31 turbocharger making ~60hp. The USDM 1.3 4cyl also made 60hp