Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2002 OBS front control arm bushing replacement

Just ordered parts to completely redo my front suspension on my bugeye, and I'm not able to find any threads about how to replace the bushing that bolts into the subframe. I'm assuming using a modified pitman arm puller to push it out would work, but am hoping someone could link me to a good thread about it, been googling it for a while now and cant come up with any good info.

Thanks, CL

the bushings can be pressed out and new ones pressed in, might need the help of a shop for that - shouldn't be too expensive, make an appointment and show up with your new parts and the arms. Some folks have the means to do the pressing themselves.

some folks buy Mevotech arms to install. They have new bushings and a ball joint installed. Some of those folks feel the supplied ball joint is not great and dump it for a new OEM bj. Others just run their old joint, or run the new one until it gets bad.....

46 minutes ago, 1 Lucky Texan said:

the bushings can be pressed out and new ones pressed in, might need the help of a shop for that - shouldn't be too expensive, make an appointment and show up with your new parts and the arms. Some folks have the means to do the pressing themselves.

some folks buy Mevotech arms to install. They have new bushings and a ball joint installed. Some of those folks feel the supplied ball joint is not great and dump it for a new OEM bj. Others just run their old joint, or run the new one until it gets bad.....

Thanks for the tip. I went with new factory parts off amazon, I don't really trust off brands when it comes to suspension.

the 2003 , if like my OBW, is a separate item and some folks have used an affordable Febest part, others have used poly bushing , some get OEM.

inspect everything - the car is  is 16 years old. any suspension/steering part could clunk, sometimes even brakes can.

https://www.amazon.com/REAR-BUSHING-LEFT-FRONT-CONTROL/dp/B00HAQDV2Q/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Subaru|13&Model=Outback|66&Year=2003|2003&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&vehicleId=3&vehicleType=automotive

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

Make sure you don't cross thread the bolts that go into the body. It's supper easy to do and not easy to fix!

Run them in and out by hand a few times with some PB Blaster or something to lube the internal nut welded to the body and then put the arm on!

If it starts to cross thread you will feel it.  STOP and fix it.

• Like 1