Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque converter: torn seal ring

2002 H6 Outback sedan.  325k.  4-speed auto trans replaced by previous owner.  In the middle of an engine swap.  During the engine removal, the torque converter came out a bit, despite my crappy hand made ring gear keeper tool.  After replacing input shaft o-ring, and oil pump shaft oil seal, spring clip, and seal ring, and reinstalling the input shaft into the transmission and the oil pump shaft into the torque converter, I attempted to reinsert the torque converter into the clutch case.  It had some resistance that I thought was 'normal.'  It went in to within 0.1-0.2" of the trans bell housing.  Spec is 0.11" so I pulled it back out.  Upon removal, the majority of the seal ring was just inside the clutch case opening.  No sign of the missing 2 cm fragment of the ring seal.  I had stuck it on with some dielectric grease but it must have popped out of the groove in the shaft and sheared off.  I used a piece of copper wire to fish around inside the area where the oil pump shaft resides without finding anything.  So my obvious choices are:  

1.  Install new seal ring, reinstall and hope for the best, like the missing ring fragment either stays put in the shaft area or ends up in the trans pan and doesn't block any oil ports. 

2.  Drop the trans and remove the torque converter clutch case and fish out the piece.  

Would love some input on this dilemma.  

• 1 month later...

Found the seal fragment on the garage floor stuck in rag.  Made sure to stick the new ring seal on with extra grease and didn't squeeze all the excess out of the groove.  Torque converter went back in to within 0.15" of the trans bell housing

JDM engine working great.  Shout out to JDMracingmotors of Montreal for the replacement engine.  They post compression test results video on every engine.  They also post pictures of known defects, if any, so take a good look at the pics.  Had a few issues with the wiring harness but spliced sections of the old and new together to make a complete working harness.  Used the stock intake as the JDM has the brake vacuum hose on the opposite side and I could not get the plug out, some kind of strange square fitting.  I suppose I could have ran a longer hose...Swapped over the JDM fuel injectors and replaced all fuel lines and injector o-rings.  No affiliation with this company.  Will post full write-up in a bit.  

• Like 1