Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale in need of clutch

I’m looking for a 90s Subaru in need of maintenance or repair and saw this one on Craigslist:

burned clutch, engine runs fine, but does not drive
1992 Subaru loyale manual 
232k miles
4wd with 2wd switch on the shifter
Very well maintained, Service history available
Has studded tires on
Comes with a set of summer tires and 2 spares
Reconstructed title(rear end damage).”

This would be my first time pulling an engine, but I’ve done timing belts on the EJ18, EJ22, and EJ25, as well as struts and CV shafts.

I am just wondering if it’s worth it. I’m guessing he will take much less than he is asking as it has been advertised for quite a while.

Someone indicated this has the EA82 engine which is inferior to the EA81.

It depends.  If you like these models.  How rusty it is. 

Many parts are NLA, so it's going to take searching, getting used  /  making / modifying.

I have 2 of these EA82 wagons.  I've been running and maintaining them since 1988.  I intend to run them until I run out of spare parts, and can't buy or make replacements. 

They have their quirks.  2 timing belts.  Change them and all 3 idlers every 50K miles.

Keep the cooling system in top condition.

Under powered compared to newer cars.

Part of the reasons I have 2 is that when one breaks, I am not stuck without a car while waiting to find hard to get parts.

• Like 1

I am just wondering if it’s worth it.

I'm guessing it's probably under a $grand, so it's really just a question if you like the car or not.  We don't know your mechanical skills or budget.  Like any old car and most any used car, they're projects, some more than others.

Strictly from the standpoint of replacing the clutch, pulling the engine is not that difficult. It can be a little frustrating trying to line it back up by yourself, but it can be done. If you have help it's cake. 

If the body is sound and it can be had for a deal, I wouldn't be afraid of it. 

Good luck!

Dan

As I’ve previosuly mentioned in your other thread, rust - make sure it’s not a rust bucket!

This means getting under the car and having a good look. From what I’ve seen of salt effected cars over there, if it’s got serious rust issues it’ll look like the side of the titanic under there. Walk away if it is.  I’m only saying this due to the reference of it having studded tyres. 

Cheers 

Bennie

2 hours ago, el_freddo said:

As I’ve previosuly mentioned in your other thread, rust - make sure it’s not a rust bucket!

This means getting under the car and having a good look. From what I’ve seen of salt effected cars over there, if it’s got serious rust issues it’ll look like the side of the titanic under there. Walk away if it is.  I’m only saying this due to the reference of it having studded tyres. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Here in Interior Alaska salt isn’t often used on the roads. They say it isn’t very effective under our conditions. So it depends how long it’s been here. Our 98 Forester has been here since about 2002-2003 with little Rust. My daughter’s 96 Legacy is even better. My youngest daughter’s 95 Legacy has been here ten years and was driven up from Minnesota and it does have some rust problems. So Interior Alaska can be a great place to get older Subarus. 

I’m not likely to get the Loyale after all. One can see some rust on the body. I’m looking more for a Legacy wagon with the EJ22.

The models your kids have should be a good guide The EA82 has not got to a cult status enough yet to warrant paying good money for a well maintained car with burnt clutch and accident damage. Here, that is now still scrap value and nothing more. Your kids cars might well be available for spares for yours if you buy same model, or vice versa. If you lived closer to a population of EA82 I would say buy the EA82 but not for much more than scrap value. You cant test any of the driveline due to burnt out clutch. Some sellers sound like they are confident of something that cannot be driven. Even 15 year old Subarus are changing for peanuts here now or being offered as a want to swap for things like Brumbies :)