Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 brat coastal Cruiser build

On my my way home from Mexico I found this guy on the side of the road...

265F5086-E0E2-4009-9286-56ECB25C0524.jpeg

So i drove it back it back to Canada!

let the fun begin.

the good: 

almost everthing is there, jump sets and everything.

No real body damage and no bad body rust from what I can tell.

runs!

Shifts pretty good(4spd)

the bad: 

Torn cv’s 

lots of caked oil, 

Mexican wiring

oil sender dosnt work

driver side strut top is completely torn(found this once I got it home)

leakying front main seal 

bad rad fan

Truck bed leaks into cabin(when it rains)

Plan: since I’ve been building my crazy off road poptop gl wagon, I thought it’d make this more of a daily driver. 

bushings upgrades 

2 inch lift

215/75/15 Baja bfg on yota drilled 6 lug. 

camber/caster plates

longer ish dual rate suspension 

Electric swap?!?!

Edited by Johnny 5
Title change and info
  • Like 1

Temporary fix for the driver side strut top hat.

1/4 in thick steel plate to sandwich the torn rubber. Then filled with a rubber compound to take up any slack. No more vibration driving.

00BACC1F-D562-41F0-A52B-719E3CC37D49.jpeg

67BB6F78-BCB8-4F8E-9884-3E521C25C392.jpeg

Found a ea82 loyal at a pick and pull luckily. 

pulled the front cv’s off, one inner was missing the doj balls. should be able to make two good cv’s out of the broken 4. 

Edited by Johnny 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 4:31 PM, el_freddo said:

Neat (but dirty) looking brat! 

Heads up: EA82 shafts are not compatible with the EA81 units. Only usable part is the inner joint unless the EA82 shaft is from an MPFI/turbo. 

Cheers 

Bennie

Is it just length? Seems like the bearing will take the stub shaft, just maybe swap the inner knuckle seal? to an ea82 seal? 

and use ea82 lca and adjust for the offset 

8EDAAE2C-9237-4964-A5C7-A2863E96B21D.thumb.jpeg.c7a78e6502f57852ecdd8063afd442fa.jpeg

Rebuilt the front end. Lots of mud and broken parts. The smallest amount of play in the inner tie rods. Lordco wants 70$ for one... 

Outers are discontinued so I ended up using an Imprezas from around 2000s I think. Just short enough to  towe the front in Just a touch. Tho the threads aren’t fully tight. I wonder if this is just the worn inner tie rod or the new Imprezas is just a slight larger diameter thread.

manged to stuff some BFG Baja 215/75/15r  (28in?) tires on some 6lug Nissan rims.

Bolted to some ea82 hubs. there’s maybe a slight offset difference between ea82-ea81 hubs?

my questions is, are the front and rear bearing seals the same? Ie will a front hub seal and set on the rear? if so I could fab a backing plate and mount ea82 front disks on the rear with what ever calipers I like

Shimmed the radius rods maybe 1/2  for more caster, and some fender bending. No rub in the front.

the rear inner fender needed just a small trim on the bottom . Still need to do the outer because of alight rub on the mud flaps.

Blending everything to keep it nice looking.

I adjusted the front spring preload all the way and now have bad camber, so off to fit some ea82 lca and cv axles? 

Edited by Johnny 5

22 hours ago, Johnny 5 said:

my questions is, are the front and rear bearing seals the same? Ie will a front hub seal and set on the rear? if so I could fab a backing plate and mount ea82 front disks on the rear with what ever calipers I like

Short answer: it won’t work. 

Long answer: the rear stub axle is a smaller diametre than the front axle of the driveshaft. So the front hub will not fit the rear stub axle for a start, that’s basically the blocker for this mod - and the reason why not one does it, ever! 

Mandy EA82 front drive shaft outer shafts/axles are different to the EA81 drive shaft outer shafts/axles. You have to swap tocthe EA82 hub for EA82 shafts, plus some other stuff I don’t care about so can’t tell you anything in that department as I’m not going to do that to my brumby. 

The 28s look good on those rims and your Brat. What’s the bearing like with that rubber?? Woeful at best I bet :(  You’ll need a gearbox build with 4.111:1 diff ratio minimum! 

Cheers 

Bennie