Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Outback with missing engine

57 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

The AT 2.2 doesn't have EGR. You will need an EGR manifold and to drill/tap the EGR port on the head or route the EGR tube to the IAC hose. 

GD

Respect your knowledge, but I think you got it backwards.  

95 was Dual port 2.2 WITH EGR.  It was the MT that did not.

95 AT 2.2 is actually the perfect swap for the DOHC 2.5  since it has Dual port exhaust.  I know because that's alway what I ask for when I buy 2.2 for OB and FOR swaps.

96-98 2.2 in AT Legacy/Outback(96 only) cars also had EGR, but are Single port exhaust so not a "Direct" swap unless you swap ex.manifolds.

It was the 90-94 and the MT 95-98 2.2 that did not have EGR

• Like 2

If the Legacy is a GT/ Outback or SUS in 1999 then your 2.2L will be a direct swap. If the Legacy was an L/ Brighton trim then it will have a 2.2L. In 1999 the 2.2L was " phase 2 " and is electrically fairly different than " phase one " which was used 1990-1998. The fender tag will say what it was originally. If it says EJ25D than it had a 2.5L DOHC, but if it said EJ221/222/223 then that is the phase 2 2L where you would need either another phase 2 EJ22, a phase 2 EJ25 ( EJ251/252/253 ) or a JDM EJ20 engine ( EJ201/202/203 ).

If it's a phase 2 EJ22 car, I'd probably pass. buying with a bad engine is pretty safe, but buying with NO engine means you are missing key components. Phase 2 revisions had cam/ crank sprocket differences (ECU brands ), and MAF vs MAP as well as EGR differences where you need the original intake manifold

7 minutes ago, FerGloyale said:

The EJ25D can be replaced directly with either:

The  95 EJ22

Or with the EJ25d in the 98 forester.  If it is in fact a 98.  If the forester is 99 or newer, it will have the EJ251 SOHC which will NOT work in the 99 Outback.

It is 98 with DOHC. The Forester has 288,000 on the body. We have had it since 103,000 miles. A previous owner had it setup for towing behind an RV and it was reported to us that about 50,000 miles of 103,000 were towing miles. If that is true the engine only has about 235,000 miles. A year ago the radiator got a big hole in it and the engine overheated. But 10,000 miles later the engine is still going strong.

So the 98 Forester is a manual transmission. And it will still work in the 99 outback with the automatic transmission?

Could but that's high for that engine with all those missing parts, but may be a great deal in AK.

Lot's of work and you will need a work around for the EGR as you can not drill the block in that one or you drill into the coolant jacket.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

www.car-part.com and check for a 95 2.2

4 hours ago, Ravenwoods said:

Another option has just developed. Someone is selling an EJ22 out of a 94 Legacy wagon missing MAF sensor, crank and cam angle sensors. Also missing the intake manifold plenum. 

Will this go into the 99 Outback? He is asking $450.

no you need a 95-98 2.2 intake to make that swap wrok.  and it won't have EGR

I don’t think I’ll pull our Forester engine to put in this car. Our Forester is an S model with 16” rims and the Outback has 15” rims. So I don’t think we can use our Forester rims and tires on the Outback. We have two sets of tires and rims for the Forester (summer and winter tires) so it makes more economical sense to just keep using the Forester. We just got a new set of studless tires last autumn.

They are asking $400 for the Outback and it has a decent set of rims and tires. It would be nice to get an engine into this Outback since the rest of the car looks nice.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way... 

Rim size doesn’t mean much in terms of rolling diameter. I got new tyres on my brumby recently and swapped the rims size from 13 inch to 14 inch. No change to ride height or speedo reading as I purchased the same rolling diameter sized tyre of the 13 inch rims for the 14 inch rims. 

Yes the forester tyre is taller and this, has a larger rolling diametre. With some effort - such as a lift kit and a GPS, you could fit those tyres and rims from the forester onto the outback - then drive by GPS for the correct speed reading. Starting off might be harder due to the gearing change but the auto will do it well. 

It seems like you’ve made up your mind - purchase the outback and find an engine for it. 

Cheers 

Bennie

For the OP and cars mentioned here., Yes, you can use the 215/60/16 tires/wheels from the forester on the outback. (or vice versa)  The Forester wheels have about 10mm less offset, so will stick out just a hair from where the OB wheels would.  Still fits under the fenders though.  Looks way better IMO.

*note.....after 2000, Outback models MUST use 16" wheels and cannot use 15" forester or older outback wheels.  The front brakes are too large.

Interesting. So can the 15” wheels fit on a 95 Legacy that has 14” rims? Someone is selling a 95 Legacy that I’m looking at. All the tires are bad and in need of immediate replacement. The guy with the 99 Outback is asking $400 for the car. The rims and tires alone are worth that.

yes, the wheels themselves will fit right on. But you will not fit the 205/70/15 on a regular Legacy without a lift of some sort, either OEM outback stuff ( which is basically subframe spacers and struts ) or a Forester lift.  A 1995 Legacy though, will have a dual port EJ22E, and it will fit right into a 1999 Outback and plug in and run.