Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 aircon parts for VW Bus conversion

I am trying to reactivate  the AC on a 1991 VW Vanagon Camper with a EJ22 engine conversion I believe from a around 1991 Legacy. 

The engine was fitted without the AC compressor assembly (bracket belt tensioner etc). I have not been able to find an assembly diagram with the relevant Subaru parts numbers.Can anyone help? Many thanks !

Yikes  - I was in a similar situation with my '98 Legacy wagon - somewhere along the way the AC (compressor and condenser) were removed and the PO didn't bother replacing them.  When I decided to take care of that last summer I just had to dig around the wrecking yard to find the compressor+brackets that fit, as there are abundant combinations that don't.

Junk yard will be your friend. 

My understanding is that the barckets will all fit an EJ22 If from an EJ22 of the same phase. Since you’re retro fitting the AC compressor grab one that’s bolted to the bracket, that way you know the compressor fits what you need. 

Then photograph the VIN plate for future reference. 

Have your custom hoses made up, wire in the compressor clutch to your AC system’s compressor control wire; lastly, wire in the pressure switch in series with the one in the factory loom.

Cheers 

Bennie

do yourself a favor, and retrofit one from an R134A car which will be all 1996 and newer. I would grab the entire top bracket from the engine to get one that will bolt up. Then you can use R134A coolant. Since your retrofitting stuff anyway, you can change the coolant specific parts

looks like you already have the bracket, oops it's missing a bottom bracket for the compressor.    for the tensioner, you could skip it all together and get a stretch belt directly from the crank to the compressor.   here's a diagram, it's 73611

https://parts.subaru.com/a/Subaru_1998_Impreza-22L-MT-4WD-Outback-Wagon/_54104_6022881/COMPRESSOR/G10-732-02.html

Edited by nvu

Perfect.  See, you don't need a bracket - the one you have is just fine.  Those four threaded holes?  That's where the AC compressor goes.  And it's hard to tell from this angle, but there should also be two threaded holes on the front of that casting that the tensioner bolts into.  Then there's just one more piece (and I don't have an EJ22 older than '95, so yours may vary), a little casting that the bottom two AC compressor bolts pass through and which in turn bolts onto the top of the head to stablize the whole assembly.

Edited by jonathan909

On 4/13/2019 at 3:06 PM, matt167 said:

do yourself a favor, and retrofit one from an R134A car which will be all 1996 and newer. I would grab the entire top bracket from the engine to get one that will bolt up. Then you can use R134A coolant. Since your retrofitting stuff anyway, you can change the coolant specific parts

This!

If you've got a You Pull it style junkyard nearby, find one with a late '90s/early '00s Subaru. Any 4-cylinder would work. Tensioner bracket bolts to the Compressor/alternator bracket, and there's another little bracket over the head. Just grab the whole assembly, compressor, lines, etc. It'll be more efficient with the r134a than the compressor that matches your engine. Then take a picture of the VIN if you need parts in the future.

Whoa, too many chiefs in here - what’s been said so far:

- not all compressors are compatible with all brackets

- get a bracket with the compressor so you know you’ve got a complete unit that works together was said several times

- you don’t need a bracket, you’ve already got one is the latest.  

I hope we haven’t confused John!

Best thing you can do is spend a day at a parts yard, find a ‘91 model, remove its compressor, go find another later model with the r136a gas (as previously mentioned by matt167) and pull its compressor. Go back to the 91 and see if the compressor bolts in as you want it to. 

If it does, just buy the compressor, hoses and wiring. If not, go back to the donor (which you’ll have to anyway to grab the VIN) and get the bracket too. 

You will need a stubby 12mm spanner for the lower bolts, particularly the one closest to the intake manifold. It’s a real bastard to undo if you don’t want to remove the intake manifold. You’ll also need a 14mm socket/spanner to remove the bracket and the small one beside the intake on the lhs of the compressor. 

In my mind, that’s how I’d do it for what I believe your needs are ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help. 

My engine is from a 1991 Legacy. Finding , especially the older Subuarus, in breakage yards is no so easy here in Austria. That's the reason i wanted the exact OEM parts numbers. Thanks member  "nvu" !!

What was the latest Subaru in production with the EJ22 engine and imported here to Europe, Legacy 99, Impreza 97 ??? it will be easier to find a late model that's being broken for parts.

I can get a new replacement R134 compressor for around 200 euros..... If it fits the alternator bracket i have.  Then I need the lower bracket and the belt tensioner components, probably from a yard 

john

Ah, I didn’t realise you were in Austria! Understandable that it’s hard to find a Gen1 in the yards then. They’re becoming less frequent here in Vic, Australia. The L series are very hard to come by and Brumby/MV/MY wagons and sedans are basically extinct in the yards. Plenty of Brumby/MVs still kicking around out there. 

All the best with it! 

Cheers 

Bennie