Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help finding dash cover protector

Hi Guys... I need help finding a velour dash cover for my 1984 Subaru brat GL. I ordered one from covercraft dashmat and DashCare by Seatz. Neither of them fit my dash. I’m not sure why this is so hard. I just have a regular GL dash. I have a dark blue interior. Can someone who has a dash cover that fits their GL please post a pic of it on the dash and tell me where they ordered it. I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank you in advance!!!

Did you select the correct year? When ordering parts for the EA81 Gen2 body  shape many have found not to use a year after 1984 as things get mixed up with the EA82 body shape and engine that began production late 1984 to 1994 I think it was. At one stage here in Aus we could buy EA81 Gen2 Brumby, EA82 L Series and whatever range of EJ powered Liberty new from Subaru 

jmpjose - that section under the outer air vent....is it blocked off? factory? or has someone done something to it? We got small fob pockets to put stuff in to rattle about. Best left empty if rattles annoy.

and the gearshift boot ! Looks tidy no console! Is this factory finish or neato update of yours? I once did similar to a 60s Ford fitting a boot from an 80s Ford direct onto the carpeted hump for same clean lines finish. It used a metal plate to screw to floor to fit boot over neatly. What is the boot out of or meant for do you know?

Edited by Steptoe

@Steptoe - that blanked section where we have a coin bucket/pocket, I reckon there’s a speaker behind it, going by the horizontal grille arrangement. 

I’d say that gear selector setup is factory. It’s probably a hatch, being a DL it’s the typical povo pack, maybe with carpet added.

Cheers 

Bennie

8 minutes ago, StallonePanerai said:

My car is a EA81 1984 GL. Maybe I should try a 1985 brat instead of 1984?..

no look up 1984 Brat GL

In 85 there were both EA82 and EA81 cars so that's were the confusion ussuallly starts.

But all (2nd gen)  Brats are EA81 so look for Brat covers not wagon.

Edited by FerGloyale

I’m going to call them Monday. I believe the error is on the manufacturer. When I put in 1984 brat GL it shows the correct dash cover. What I received was different. If I don’t need to send the others back I will gladly donate them for free if someone here can use them. I’ll keep everyone posted. Thank you

4 hours ago, Steptoe said:

jmpjose - that section under the outer air vent....is it blocked off? factory? or has someone done something to it? We got small fob pockets to put stuff in to rattle about. Best left empty if rattles annoy.

and the gearshift boot ! Looks tidy no console! Is this factory finish or neato update of yours? I once did similar to a 60s Ford fitting a boot from an 80s Ford direct onto the carpeted hump for same clean lines finish. It used a metal plate to screw to floor to fit boot over neatly. What is the boot out of or meant for do you know?

Hello Steptoe

Under my outer air vent (grilled section) is were the one factory speaker of my car lives. 

And on the shifter boot that is how i bought the car. Car came 99% with original parts. I even have the original manuals and glove box key!

• Thanks 1

the shift boot looks neat - so factory eh...and that speaker grille look ,,shame they are made for the left drive shape, not the right. Or maybe our higher spec sedans got these instead of rattle pockets? Our rattle pockets use two screws at the top to retain, and they sort of require an opening to access them. Seeing this photo has given me an idea. I think I will make a panel but recessed further in than the mounting screws ..need something neat for a boost gauge

I bought a FWD only sedan here in Aus, it had the exact same boot around the gear lever and that car was 100% original.

Think I still have it floating around in amongst all my spares somewhere.

Still think that little speaker grille would fit the RHD models, I'd certainly like to get my hands on one and check it out that's for sure. It would make a great place to hide the external speaker for the UHF.

Cheers,

Al