Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OEM parts source recommendations

I posted this in that "other" Subaru forum but I thought I'd seek some second (or third) opinions.

I'm in the midst of a head gasket job and I've been ordering a lot of parts, both OEM and aftermarket. I ordered my OEM parts online via parts.subaru.com, which was processed by a local dealer. The dealer sat on the order for a couple days and now I can't do the work I had planned this weekend. The following weekend I can't work on the car so the dealer's inaction set me back two weeks. Anyway, I'm wondering if there are online OEM sources that respond quickly to orders. Sources closer to the upper left corner of the lower 48 would be preferred to minimize shipping time. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I use Partsouq for a lot with Subaru. Find the part number, and order. Stuff ships from the UAE but it's cheaper than MSRP by quite a bit. Also they ship right out via Fedex air and you'll get it quicker because of it. 2-3 days. Shipping most items cost $20.

You can also get the OEM black ROKI oil filters from them as well as any "JDM" parts that are still available

• Like 1

Use the ones they've said, find one that's based in the Northwest, I just forget which one that is, but you should be able to look them up easily enough. 

You want to buy from the big online dealers who have higher volume, maybe closer warehouses, and are constantly involved with the warehouse, back end logistics and shipping.   Average dealers aren't set up to do those things efficiently. 

They should tell you if they have it in stock or not.  If time is an issue, or the part you're ordering is large, isn't common (and they're unlikely to have it in stock) ask them if they have it and how long, consider that it might take 1-2 days longer than they say, or just order it locally.

7 minutes ago, carfreak85 said:

www.subarugenuineparts.com is no longer active, Jaime now runs the online parts department for a dealership in Texas.

I use a combination of my local dealership, RockAuto and Amazon to find the best prices.  Sometimes Google Shopping for aftermarket parts like StopTech replacement rotor rings, etc.

Tex....Texas?

where!?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.  I'll be doing a little research.  I've learned that walking into, or calling, the dealer and ordering parts has a premium.  If I would have ordered via parts.subaru.com, the price would have been $16 for one of the heater hoses that I recently bought, but from the dealer, it's almost $23.  When I asked the dealer parts guy why, he just told me that's the way it is.  Honda is the same way.  Parts prices are most expensive at the dealer counter (or via phone), cheaper if you order online through Honda via  hondapartsonline.com and cheaper still if you order online from someone like hondapartsnow.com (or similar).  I just need to find the hondapartsnow.com equivalent for Subaru parts.

The odd thing about ordering through parts.subaru.com (or hondapartsonline.com) is that the parts aren't actually ordered.  The local dealer has to put your online order into the system.  So, if they're not paying attention to online orders, your order can sit for days.  This has happened twice to me.

I’ve used partouq.com a few times and they’ve been very good. My only issue is the fluctuation in the currency exchange but other than that they’ve been awesome. 

They say shipped in two days or less, but they manage to get the parts into Oz in five to seven days from the time I place the order. This is significant since our postal service could take a week to send a letter from the east coast to the west coast. Even via express it could be four days for it to get there! 

Cheers 

Bennie