Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt procedure without integrated tensioner

I have a '98 Legacy GT and I'm doing head gaskets.  I've got some questions about the non-integrated tensioner.  I have a feeling I'll create a poop storm by asking, so before you chastise me, I have searched online and also looked at the factory manual.  I've seen a lot of videos of timing belts but none of them were with the non-integrated tensioner.  None of the links to USMB posts work for me. The factory manual only covers the integrated tensioner.  On to my questions:

1. Are there any tricks to doing the timing belt properly with the non-integrated tensioner? 
  2. I noticed the mounting holes are slotted somewhat.  Do I push the tensioner tight up against the pulley and tighten it down before pulling the pin?  Does it matter where the tensioner is located?
  3. Also, the bolts for the tensioner are smaller than the pulley bolts.  What's the torque for the tensioner bolts?

If the information I need is out there somewhere, just point me in the right direction.  Thanks in advance.

1. No. Fit the tensioner, put the belt on as you normally would

2. Correct. Once belt is on and you’re all happy, move the tensioner up against the pulley then tighten the bolts down. I use a large flat blades screw driver to apply some pressure (if not at the end of the slots) then I tighten the bolts down. 

3. Dunno. I always go by hand.  There should be a general bolt size and torque setting guide in the manual of memory serves me correct. 

Cheers 

Bennie

If you’ve got the backing plate you can swap the tensioner - but I don’t know why you’d want to. I’ve not heard of any issues with the old piston tensioner yet I’ve heard and experienced a failure of the integrated style tensioner. 

I’ve got 10 years and two or three timing belt replacements on one tensioner. I’ve had the cam belt off a few times in that time too. 

So did business go well @Basket_case ?

Cheers 

Bennie

FSM all the way.

The old style two piece tensioners were way more reliable than the new one piece units. I never replaced those two piece units.  The one piece new style I replace with every belt change unless it’s a rusty worthless heap.

I used to swap newer Subarus from the one style tensioners and install the two piece ones for that reason.  Now they’re so old that’s not as desirable so I don’t. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 3:58 PM, el_freddo said:

If you’ve got the backing plate you can swap the tensioner - but I don’t know why you’d want to. I’ve not heard of any issues with the old piston tensioner yet I’ve heard and experienced a failure of the integrated style tensioner. 

I’ve got 10 years and two or three timing belt replacements on one tensioner. I’ve had the cam belt off a few times in that time too. 

So did business go well @Basket_case ?

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks for asking and thanks for all the tips from the others. 

Business hasn't gone yet.  I learned once again that life doesn't stop happening just because you have an engine apart.  The local dealer didn't order my parts for a few days so I lost a weekend.  I got a mis-marked aftermarket heater hose (twice) from an online source (not their fault) and then had to go back to the dealer.  Then, I had to visit an aging (almost 96 years old) relative the following weekend.  This weekend, something came up and I have to go in to work.  I've lost three weekend since I started this task.  I'm just full of excuses, aren't I? It took me 5 weeks total elapsed time to R&R my Accord engine.  It's looking like I won't be breaking my record this time with the Subaru, even though pulling the engine is a breeze compare to the Accord.

I've been picking off little things in the evening when I can - cleaning the block, replacing the separator plate, replacing the throwout bearing, resealing the oil pan, etc. but even then, other aspects of life take most of my evenings from me.  I'll get there.  I have hot spares in my fleet so I can afford to have the Legacy down for a while.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Did you get it yet Basket_Case? Doing a '98 with the old style tensioner right now. Had to go a couple years back in the service manuals to find an example with the old style. Seemed odd. Was held up by a gasket taking it's sweet time to the PO Box... Progress Made