Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2015 Impreza tail light configuration question

Hi, I have a question for anyone who owns/has owned a 2015 Impreza or other model that has the same tail light configuration. My tail lights do not appear to be located directly in the back of the car, but rather more off to the side. These appear to be different from the brake lights, which are directly in the back. 

As a result, my tail lights have never shown up very well (I've had this car almost 3 years now), and I have now been pulled over twice and told that my tail lights were out-the lates one bing tonight. The officer even asked me to drive home with my hazard lights on, adding the annoyance. I asked my dealership about it after I got pulled over the first time and they just said all lights were working properly, but now that I've been pulled over a second time I'm officially skeptical.

Note that I have reviewed my owner's manual and scoured the internet for information on this and have turned up nothing. 

Has anyone else had this problem? If someone can help confirm where the tail lights should be (and again, I'm referring to the tail lights and not the brake lights) it would be very helpful. I can't keep getting pulled over for this! :(

what type of bulb is supposed to be in the tail light? your owners manual should give you this information.

if it is saying an 1157 type bulb (there are multiple pre/post additions - look at the number itself) then it is very possible the bulb is faulty.

an 1157 type has 2 filaments, one for tail light function, the other for brake light function - both in one bulb. However, it would be quite odd to have both tail light filaments fail, but brake lights working.

there is a separate bulb that does light to the side to make the car more visible from the side..

I guess you need to investigate the bulb configuration on the car.. how many bulbs are there facing the back of the car, and do all of them function correctly

I am not familiar with the 2015 Impreza, so can not really offer you much in the way of help

the taillight and the brake lights should both be part of the same rear facing red section of the fixture.

Perhaps your bulbs have burned the "lo" filament out?

Or maybe small town cops are very bored and screwing with a "hippie" subaru owner.  (not saying you are just that some people have that perception of subie owners)

Update: FerGloyale's assessment was correct. The 'lo' filament (i.e. the brake lights) on the bulbs were indeed out and I now have new bulbs in and everything in working order. I am honestly very angry with the Subaru dealership in Salem...I asked them at least twice about it after I got pulled over the first time, and was told by the "handler" that takes your money that the tech reported that everything checked out. So basically I went without tail lights for at least a YEAR! Needless to say I will no longer be using their service department. 

• Like 1