Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Subaru Outback Motor R&R ??

Hello,

I have a prospective   vehicle   I may obtain.....

It is a 2005 Subaru Outback Wagon.  Automatic....

I am waiting on additional information.... I have yet to see the condition of this motor. Supposedly, car is very very clean....

I am not sure if the motor has to be replaced   or if I can just do head gaskets on the engine.....

Perhaps,   someone in the forum may be able to provide some insight.......

From what I was told the motor started smoking out the exhaust. while driving on the highway....

I am hoping that I can just do a tear down to "just" the head gaskets

If anyone can provide   some   info regarding (highlights) of the process that would be good....

I have done head gaskets on Ej22's  and EA82's.   This will be my first 2.5L....

Is the 2005  05   SOHC  or DOHC?

Is the only way to do head gaskets  is to pull the engine?

Thanks!

Turbo is DOHC.

Best to pull the engine to remove the heads (probably possible without, but it's best to tilt the engine on it's side, as the cams have to come off to get to the head bolts).

Smoking out the exhaust could be just about anything. Without a pretty in-depth diagnosis, assume it needs a complete new engine w/turbo.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I was looking to see if there was any motors in my area......  Looks rather grim.... ( was looking for turbo motors)

So   what would entail to change over to NON-turbo.  Say  2.5L non-turbo.........

Seems like  it would be alot........   anyone versed in this type of modification?

1 hour ago, montana tom said:

I would not attempt changing over.  You would need the ecm and the harness.  Non turbo 2.5 would be sohc 

Smoke out the exhaust sounds more like your turbo than head gaskets. 

Yep, my first thought is turbo, but it could be a lot of things.

Also, if the turbo is bad enough, it can introduce debris into the oil, which in-turn kills the engine (which is why it's hard to find good used engines).

It would be possible to put a non-turbo engine in. Would require many modifications. And you'd want to have the ECU retuned (the advantage of the turbo ECU is it is tuneable). But being that the non-turbo cars are so much more common, it would make so much more sense to just start with one.

Blown turbo. Could need a whole engine. TONS of the 05/06 LGT / OBXT in the junk yard because of VF40 failures. Typically you end up replacing the entire engine which is often $6k to $8k. This is essentially an STI engine with a smaller turbo. They are NOT CHEAP to repair and if it's done wrong or poorly you WILL be doing it again. Best practices are to change over to forged pistons, welded pickup tube, and re-route the turbo oil feed to prevent failures in these critical areas. If you don't know what you're doing you WILL screw it up. 

Honestly I would pass. They are too much trouble and 5EAT isn't that great either. They had their own problems. 

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

On 4/21/2019 at 3:11 PM, GeneralDisorder said:

Blown turbo. Could need a whole engine. TONS of the 05/06 LGT / OBXT in the junk yard because of VF40 failures. Typically you end up replacing the entire engine which is often $6k to $8k. This is essentially an STI engine with a smaller turbo. They are NOT CHEAP to repair and if it's done wrong or poorly you WILL be doing it again. Best practices are to change over to forged pistons, welded pickup tube, and re-route the turbo oil feed to prevent failures in these critical areas. If you don't know what you're doing you WILL screw it up. 

Honestly I would pass. They are too much trouble and 5EAT isn't that great either. They had their own problems. 

GD

Answers my question about the Outback XT at the dealer with a blown turbo=pass