Ultimate Subaru Message Board

R160 locker coming soon!

Prwa101

All you guys who have been around for a while have seen my old work on the R160 ratchet locker. Sadly never got any further on it due to funding and machine limitations. But! ADF and Torqmasters has teamed up to make this happen! 400$ a unit roughly should be completed and may/June! Big news for almost all Subarus out there as the R160 was used thought the years. If any one has any questions let me know! 

R160 1B.jpg

Just now, carfreak85 said:

Before folks get all hyped up on this, no, this is not a selectable air locker.  This is a ratcheting differential, not viscous, not clutch type, not helical. 

Spot on! ^ "Will this fit my Subaru?" As long as its not an STI lol R160 is in almost every Subaru out there 

2 hours ago, carfreak85 said:

Before folks get all hyped up on this, no, this is not a selectable air locker.  This is a ratcheting differential, not viscous, not clutch type, not helical. 

Still worth getting hyped up for. I'll be buying one FOR SURE.

There was mention in the Facebook post about 1-bolt and 5-bolt versions. Looks like these will drop into the factory carrier to replace the spider gears, so maybe there are 2 different versions. And I'm assuming it wouldn't work in place of a factory LSD. But these are all details.

Edited by Numbchux

7 hours ago, Numbchux said:

Still worth getting hyped up for. I'll be buying one FOR SURE.

There was mention in the Facebook post about 1-bolt and 5-bolt versions. Looks like these will drop into the factory carrier to replace the spider gears, so maybe there are 2 different versions. And I'm assuming it wouldn't work in place of a factory LSD. But these are all details.

The difference there is the newer R160 and the older R160. Newer being the weird tribecas and ascents. Older being everything else. The vLSD housing didnt allow for enough room and has a different inner one spider dosnt come out like the others. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Prwa101 said:

The difference there is the newer R160 and the older R160. Newer being the weird tribecas and ascents. Older being everything else. The vLSD housing didnt allow for enough room and has a different inner one spider dosnt come out like the others. 

Cool. Is the 5-bolt version any stronger?

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2019 at 3:38 PM, Prwa101 said:

I think there pretty much the same just different gear ratios much higher than the older one 

We're talking the Tribeca diff has one bolt side covers vs the more common five bolt side covers?  Looks like Tribeca has 3.58 gear ratio.