Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'95 EJ22 roller rockers compatibility?

When my '95 EJ22 burned a valve a few years back I just did the quick thing and swapped in another used motor (that's still running great).  Now I'm catching up on a whole bunch of unfinished tasks and want to clean up the old motor so I have a spare on hand.  I don't have any potential donor EJ22s here, and there don't appear to be any other '95 EJ22s in the local U-Pull yards, but there are some '96-'98s that I could get heads from.  If the junkyard heads are in significantly better shape than my old ones, can I swap my '95 cams+rockers into them?

Edited by jonathan909

I would say yes. The later EJ22s all used the rollarocka style valve train. The Gen1 EJ22 used the HLAs. 

What ive said above is true for Australia so it’s a bit of a guess for the US but I’d reckon it’s the same. 

Having spares on hand is always a good thing. Why not just service the heads you have?

Cheers 

Bennie

Honestly, I just haven't looked closely enough at it to see how bad it is.  There's a huge notch burned out of the valve - it happened just as winter hit and I wasn't in a position to do anything about it until spring, so I just pulled the connector from that cylinder's injector and kept driving it.  I'll need another head in any case, whether I swap it in or just nick valves from it.  And I really shouldn't even be messing with it right now - god knows I've got about a hundred other things that need attention first, and the lakes are about to thaw so I'm just going to want to be out on the water rather than dealing with any of them anyway...