Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steering Wheel Shakes While Braking

When my Brat was doing the same thing, it was the rotors were warped. Had the rotors turned and problem solved.  

You could probably turn the rotors and check for run-out. Don't think a visual inspection will tell you.   If not the rotors only other thing I can think of is tie rod ends really worn & sloppy.

Good luck.

Edited by jdkneppy
Correction

Turning the offending rotor fixes this *every single time*

Pay close attention to braking or try to feel it by rotating the wheels by hand- turn that one rotor and you’re done   Or turn them both if you cant tell  

properly clean and grease the slide pins and make sure the pin bushings aren’t swollen-loose and impeding pin movement - and Subaru rotors will last 300,000 miles on average use daily drivers.  

My bet: slide pins or a dead bearing. 

I often wonder how rotors warp. My L series did this from time to time but would often clear up after hard braking. Theory here being that the front disc hand brake would hold heat much longer than the rest of the disc - if hard braking occurred before hand brake on and engine shut down, the rotor would cool at different rates, and it could’ve left a small amount of brake pad baked on the rotor. I haven’t had rotors turned and it’s not an issue. If it’s persistent, it’s usually a jammed slide pin. 

And what do you always use with new or turned rotors? New brake pads. I believe this could mask the real issue - gummed up slide pins. 

Worn bearings will also allow the disc to move around that can create a rumbly braking sensation. I believe is this my current issue in my Brumby. Once I’ve finished the current house move this will be looked at - as will the slide pins as a matter of course. 

Cheers 

Bennie