Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know if a GPS touch screen  navigation unit from an 05-09 is a plug and play install in my 08 Outback? It sure would be nice to add this to my car. If so, I think a unit could be scored from a wrecking yard. Wonder what cost would be??

Thanks!!

Rooster2,

Sorry to disappoint you but its not as easy as a simple plug and play.

You will require the wiring harness to the unit, the GPS antenna and its wiring to the nav unit, as well as the wiring through the steering column and the steering wheel with the voice command switches. Parts of the dash will need disassembly, as will the steering column, the steering wheel and the headliner.

Its all doable if you get a donor car, and have the time and patience it will take.

Add to that the cost of the update to the navigation system to 2019, which at present is about $150 US for the appropriate disc, and no guarantee the system will work until its all installed, and if it doesn't .... what then?

A portable Garmin is a far better/cheaper alternative ... and its updateable every year free of charge.

• Like 1