Ultimate Subaru Message Board

some axles are too long for lifted outback ?

scalman

so yh found out that myself when i bought used GC 01 rear axle and tried to put it in my car and as soon as i put top link it locked and didint moved more down, where my existing axle do go down and dont lock means its shorter and that GC one is slightly longer then yes ?

so anyone knows what other years or models axles are shorter or longer , so i wouldnt make this mistake again. i mean i will use that GC one still just will take it apart and use CV's from that . and now i was using GK axle in rear so from GK impreza it fits me still but from GC is too long. that goes why i need wheel spacers and such thats for how much that axle is pushed inside . well longer links would solve those both problems i guess with axles and wheel spacers.

Edited by scalman

The easy solution is use (legacy) Outback axles for Outbacks. They almost never fail so theres  thousands of OEM available cheap all over the country. Since they’re so easy to find it’s easy to get the same model. 

Could the axle be fine and the issue isn’t the axles?

impreza axles are said to have different widths but sometimes those interchange without issue?  But I haven’t seen gobs of good info on it.

Rears can also be left and right depending on the model/year?

it could be but people who have hundreds axles and hundreds other parts taken apart they should know what fits what ... i guess not much lifted outbacks looking axles at their places, because for not lofted outback those would fit no problem. well it must be axle because when i put back my old axle it was working ok , then i put this back and its locked. i mean its not moving like dont have any space so its bad thats why its locked if its too long i mean it can be just 2cm longer and its enough for it to lock maybe. 

i will take it out tomor i think and i will measure then lenght of those both axles and see. 

o buy them on scrapyard and im saying i need axle for outback 2001 and they say ok we got those then they bring me one and saying this is it . and until know i didint had any problems with them, so in future i will say i need legacy ones or outback or other model impreza ones that are shorter. 

yes they different lenght , now i know and now i know that i cant use those longer ones in rear on my lifted outback. 

QI2sb6t.jpg

it looks not much diff but thats enough for my suspension to move fully down , or lock in middle and wont move down more.

• 1 year later...

same thing with my lifted 2005 outback. rear wont drop more just because when rear drops all goes inside and when it goes inside that cv axle reaches its limits and cant let suspension drop more because its just became too long . 

and with 2001 outback i could use there slightly shorter older subaru rear axles , but on this model its became wider in wheel track so now every axle its like 1cm longer in rear from 2001 outback and that outside cv its different now using some stell ring there and not tooths anymore and i cant use new cv on older axle anymore too as tooths not matches. 

so rear is suffering but  front still drops fully even with that too much 7cm lift just on spacers. its just strut spacers nothing else . and slightly larger tires 225/65R17

noone does 7cm spacers ou there , but im trying now and for now axles are holding fine. but rear would work better with shorter axles there. 

cnMXVP7.jpg

you can see older subaru rear axles are much shorter. 

RBhDfsk.jpg 

they fit into diff no probs but hey not same into wheel anymore . 

5qJE4nq.jpg