Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gertie (the L series touring wagon)

KiwiGL

On 5/8/2021 at 2:59 AM, el_freddo said:

Have now sourced an EJ alternator off a mate for free. The one I have is still charging so no rush to swap them, good to have a spare though.

Next project might be the heater core, starting to smell a bit coolanty with the heat on...

Edited by KiwiGL

Get onto that heater core now!! They make a huge mess when they let go. I did two. Learn from me and get an all copper/brass unit. Mine cost a couple of hundred about ten years ago but I’ve never had to think or worry about it since!   

When they pop at cruising speed it’s not fun at all! (And VERY dangerous)

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 5/22/2021 at 12:42 AM, el_freddo said:

Get onto that heater core now!! They make a huge mess when they let go. I did two. Learn from me and get an all copper/brass unit. Mine cost a couple of hundred about ten years ago but I’ve never had to think or worry about it since!   

When they pop at cruising speed it’s not fun at all! (And VERY dangerous)

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks! Mainly not looking forward to pulling the dash out...

Probably a good idea to do it sooner rather than later though as I sometimes drive in bare feet eg when going to the beach and I'd rather not receive 4 litres of red hot coolant onto them haha

Edited by KiwiGL
  • Haha 1

Fighting leaky gaskets (again). I just cannot seem to get the carburetor and intake manifold gaskets to seal, and it is really starting to annoy me. I've used new aftermarket gaskets, made my own, used sealant, not used sealant, etc and makes no difference. Car runs fine and doesn't get hot, just consistently leaks small amounts of coolant and consumes it when going up long uphills (I assume because it starts getting a little warmer and the pressure increases). 

Any ideas on how to fix this? Contemplating seeing if Subaru have any genuine gaskets left.

When installing a Weber on an EA82 intake, the process is to block off the coolant port that would go to the carb with JB Weld or better...

Not the case here for the Hitachi as the coolant is needed... but in the future if you decide to go Weber...

However Subaru does have some "different" gasket materials and thicknesses. The two intake-manifold-to-head gaskets come to mind. If you get anything but Subaru replacements there, in for a bad time eventually.

Maybe the Subaru gasket is Superior here as well?

On 6/14/2021 at 3:20 AM, 6 Star said:

When installing a Weber on an EA82 intake, the process is to block off the coolant port that would go to the carb with JB Weld or better...

Not the case here for the Hitachi as the coolant is needed... but in the future if you decide to go Weber...

However Subaru does have some "different" gasket materials and thicknesses. The two intake-manifold-to-head gaskets come to mind. If you get anything but Subaru replacements there, in for a bad time eventually.

Maybe the Subaru gasket is Superior here as well?

Why does the coolant actually make a difference on the Hitachi? I was wondering that.

One of my mates has a Weber off his EJ18 jet boat that he converted to EJ22 EFI, which I have been tempted to slap on for a while now

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Kiwi, not sure why the coolant is needed in the stock Hitachi... was hoping Bennie would chime in on that...

Perhaps it is to warm the carb when it is cold, and to cool it when it is hot...

I've thought I've had a blown head gasket before mistakenly;

Removed the oil cap and the condensation in the engine created the milkshake appearance on the roof of the oil cap lid.

However finding it in the dipstick is more devious... I pray it isn't the case for you, but indeed you may have a blown head gasket...

Edited by 6 Star
Dipstick, not district... autocorrect...

The coolant under the carb is to avoid the carb icing up and fuel freezing, frozen fuel tends not to burn very well!

@KiwiGL - how long have you had the engine running for, a decent drive or just idling to move it around the yard/shed etc? If it’s the latter it could just be excessive moisture in the PCV system as it’s not getting up to running temp and remaining there for a period of time.

If you’ve done a decent drive or three it’s probably the HG letting go or a coolant leak from the intake manifold gaskets or rarely from under the carb - but you’d see other running issues with these too.

Cheers

Bennie

On 6/28/2021 at 12:25 AM, el_freddo said:

The coolant under the carb is to avoid the carb icing up and fuel freezing, frozen fuel tends not to burn very well!

@KiwiGL - how long have you had the engine running for, a decent drive or just idling to move it around the yard/shed etc? If it’s the latter it could just be excessive moisture in the PCV system as it’s not getting up to running temp and remaining there for a period of time.

If you’ve done a decent drive or three it’s probably the HG letting go or a coolant leak from the intake manifold gaskets or rarely from under the carb - but you’d see other running issues with these too.

Cheers

Bennie

Drove it up a skifield and back, 3 hour round trip, had it at 4 k rpm most of the way up Mt Hutt, and 3 k most of the way from Chch to Hutt and back on the open road... It's then sat for 2 weeks.  Without being driven.

I doubt it's the carb or intake gasket as the oil is really milky and well up the dipstick, looks like it's had a lot of coolant mixed in. 

I might just pull the ea82 and reseal it as I've got a complete gasket set in the shed and can borrow a hoist and engine stand off a mate. Also have the original motor too for extra bits. I might actually rebuild the original motor as I suspect that's also got a blown HG but without coolant/oil mixing. Also doesn't burn any oil, compared with the replacement motor I fitted which does.

Will be a wee while till I have spare time to rebuild a motor though, am in the middle of renovating my bathroom!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah mate that sucks. At least you got a ride before the lockdown. Looks like regional Vic is staring down the barrel of an impending lockdown. Shepparton went from one case this morning to 17 by this evening! Definite grounds for lockdown! 

Great to see your L getting out though. Hopefully the rain stays away so I can work on mine (outside :(). 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 1

On 8/20/2021 at 10:56 PM, el_freddo said:

Yeah mate that sucks. At least you got a ride before the lockdown. Looks like regional Vic is staring down the barrel of an impending lockdown. Shepparton went from one case this morning to 17 by this evening! Definite grounds for lockdown! 

Great to see your L getting out though. Hopefully the rain stays away so I can work on mine (outside :(). 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks! I was so bored last night I watched your video of driving up Mt Hotham. Great soundtrack from the EJ22. 

• 5 months later...

So, picked up an EA81S twin carb setup today... Going to be going on this EA82 shortly. Was rebuilt a couple of years ago, looks to be in great nick. Basically stole it at the price I paid. Was on a jet boat with an EA81, hence the welded thermostat housing. Have an unchopped one to fit.

Just need to figure out how to hook up the manual choke... Anyone got a spare manual choke for an ea82 body they can send me? I know they were made in limited numbers.

XAbOePA.jpeg

Edited by KiwiGL

• 4 months later...

Have been a little busy lately with work and tramping, haven't got around to fitting the twin carbs yet unfortunately (not as easy as I thought as it will require brazing a small pipe onto the heater crossover to feed the coolant to the carb bases, also have to build a choke mechanism as these didn't come with one unfortunately as they were in a jet boat and just had some wire hooked onto them).

I may end up actually using these carbs on an EJ22 in my green sedan but more on that thread.

I've got a second MPFI EJ22 sitting in the north island for Gertie anyhow (yes, another one) along with a set of near new Maxxis 185r14 muddies. These will be going on a set of Peugeot 14" steelies that I've picked up, need to get them sandblasted and painted. I'll almost certainly run this EJ22 in MPFI form, unless I can find an EJ18 carb and dizzy (wagon is currently carb and wiring looks scary).

Also need an adapter plate, lift kit and a torqlocker, and then we're done. Currently waiting on Subarino to release their L series kit...

Also broke one of my headlight covers on a recent trip away behind Hanmer into some snow. Damn gravel roads. No fear as you can actually still buy these new, and I have two spare sets of headlights anyhow.

New steering wheel fitted from SAAS along with hub, feels so much better than the original plastic one that was falling to bits.vZgYlep.jpeg

p0lF5Rv.jpeg2mtJ2XI.jpeg

And lastly a pic of what she should look like when finished

z7Ih0wK.jpeg

Edited by KiwiGL
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, KiwiGL said:

...a set of near new Maxxis 185r14 muddies. These will be going on a set of Peugeot 14" steelies that I've picked up, need to get them sandblasted and painted. 

Also need an adapter plate, lift kit and a torqlocker, and then we're done. Currently waiting on Subarino to release their L series kit...

Also broke one of my headlight covers on a recent trip away behind Hanmer into some snow. Damn gravel roads. No fear as you can actually still buy these new, and I have two spare sets of headlights anyhow.

vZgYlep.jpeg

And lastly a pic of what she should look like when finished

z7Ih0wK.jpeg

Good thing the headlight covers were in place. Where do you source those? Are they wrap-around to also cover the corner lights? Would like to have some for my wagon as well, although the USDM corner lights do not have the protruding reflector...

Like the look of that last example wagon picture. Aggressive tires and appears to be lifted some. Hard to tell where that is but it looks to be a LHD, Face-lifted example.

26 minutes ago, 6 Star said:

Good thing the headlight covers were in place. Where do you source those? Are they wrap-around to also cover the corner lights? Would like to have some for my wagon as well, although the USDM corner lights do not have the protruding reflector...

Like the look of that last example wagon picture. Aggressive tires and appears to be lifted some. Hard to tell where that is but it looks to be a LHD, Face-lifted example.

Can be bought from Airplex in New Zealand. Yes, they are wrap around.

Agree last pic looks like a later model US spec.

28 minutes ago, 6 Star said:

https://www.airplex.co.nz/product/519-headlight-guard-clear-pair

• Thanks 1