Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gertie (the L series touring wagon)

KiwiGL

37 minutes ago, KiwiGL said:

Should add remote control for the central locking! 

I have power door locks with a remote and love it. If you manually lock or unlock the driver's door from inside (without using the remote) all the other door lock and unlock as well. I used the same kits in my 87 Mazda B2000 and several of my Corvairs too.

Hardly any of my cars have power widows so I don't really mind the manual window cranks.

I just added a cargo carrier so I can look the part around town and off road but it's kind of big so I might swap it out to a roof top basket and reduce the wind resistance as well.

20230103_120951_04-001.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, azdave said:

I have power door locks with a remote and love it. If you manually lock or unlock the driver's door from inside (without using the remote) all the other door lock and unlock as well. I used the same kits in my 87 Mazda B2000 and several of my Corvairs too.

Hardly any of my cars have power widows so I don't really mind the manual window cranks.

I just added a cargo carrier so I can look the part around town and off road but it's kind of big so I might swap it out to a roof top basket and reduce the wind resistance as well.

20230103_120951_04-001.jpg

Looks great! I've also got a set of those DL spec headlights to install on mine so I can fit some LED sealed beams for decent light output.

Subarino lift?? It’s going to be awesome! 

I was pestering him for a three inch but I doubt he’ll ever do it, or I’ll ever actually go through with it anyway, I’d rather get his 5 stud conversion once it’s sorted, I’m about 90% there with the kit, I just need a couple of key pieces. Anyway, that project is on the back burner for now. 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Finally acquired a set of Peugeot 14" steelies to fit my Maxxis mud tyres to. Looks good if I may say so myself.

GrupRqU.jpeg

Before anyone asks, Torqlocker is in the mail...

Just waiting on Subarino to finally release their lift kit, then I can crack on with putting that in, along with an injected EJ22 and a rare part time 4wd dual range EJ box from an early Legacy. And then get it engineer certed haha 😂

• Like 2

On 5/24/2023 at 9:33 PM, el_freddo said:

Enjoy the install. I’ve got one in a diff ready for Ruby Scoo when the time comes. Got a few bits to sort out before then. 

Hit me up if you have issues fitting the stub axles ;) 

Cheers 

Bennie

Thanks, watched the video from Subarino, have you got any other tricks?

• 1 month later...

Removing the rear diff proved beyond me at home (CV locked in diff even with roll pin out), so it's going in for a WOF and locker fitment next week. 

On the shortlist for a Subarino lift, number 7! Then I'll throw the EJ and legacy box in it and get it all certed! Getting there slowly.

Also loving having a heater in it again - replaced the core a wee while ago. Might think about fitting AC when I do the swap as the EJ has a compressor on it...

Edited by KiwiGL
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KiwiGL said:

Also loving having a heater in it again - replaced the core a wee while ago. 

A used heater core or is someone selling remanufactured cores that drop in? I have found nothing new in the US and don't want to install a used one with a plastic end tank to fail again. I'm waiting until summer heat is over to tear into my dash to replace mine. I plan to mod one of several all-metal core candidates I have scavenged from junk yards.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 12:21 AM, azdave said:

A used heater core or is someone selling remanufactured cores that drop in? I have found nothing new in the US and don't want to install a used one with a plastic end tank to fail again. I'm waiting until summer heat is over to tear into my dash to replace mine. I plan to mod one of several all-metal core candidates I have scavenged from junk yards.

Got it off a guy Brian in Aussie on the 4x140 or GTFO FB page. Make a post up there and he'll probably reply, he had a batch of 12 made a while back and has some left. Interestingly, the core I pulled out also appears aftermarket and is full copper but had a bad braze down one seam unfortunately.

Took her for a spin today down the Waimakariri river, locker in and muddies on. Traction is incredible! Clearance and power are now the main issues... Which will be fixed with a lift and EJ22. Can't wait to get it fully built.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Took her on a great wee trip up the Edwards valley last weekend with a few mates. She performs unbelievably well offroad with just the tyre and rear locker in, considering it's still standard height and has the EA82. Such a weapon!

1RmaM7o.jpeg

7StUZo7.jpeg

24WHP7r.jpeg

HlJSR9E.jpeg

Lf6JuN3.jpeg

0ZYT4hx.jpeg

Edited by KiwiGL
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 11/23/2023 at 1:15 PM, 573417h said:

This looks mean, get the SI subies together for a wee roady, was there any real boggy or difficult bits etc, or all just mainly gravel roads?

There was one really steep, off camber, rutted hill climb! A Ford Ranger PX3 struggled to get up that, but was a breeze in the Subie.

Since that trip I've also thrown in the lift kit...

422654400_281860841273523_3277525290117990488_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2024 at 7:01 PM, KiwiGL said:

There was one really steep, off camber, rutted hill climb! A Ford Ranger PX3 struggled to get up that, but was a breeze in the Subie.

Since that trip I've also thrown in the lift kit...

422654400_281860841273523_3277525290117990488_n.jpg

Damn that looks tuff!

I have done the opposite to mine with a couple of inch drop haha, prolly no good offroad now lol