Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2007 Forester 2004 Forester tranny swap

So I have a question, I'm working on a 2007 Forester (TY755VC7AA) that has a bad transmission and all I can find locally is the 5-speed manual from a 2004 (TY755VC4AA). If both have 4.11 gears will this swap work okay? It seems that it should but I don't want to get into the job and find out it wasn't a compatible decision. Thoughts and experience could help thank you all happy Easter!

1 minute ago, GeneralDisorder said:

05+ went to a unitized valve body with non-serviceable solenoids, etc. Also the 04 trans doesn't have the manual mode equipment.

GD.... This is a manual trans, not the automatic. 

Switches will swap. They’re all in the same location with the same thread type/size. 

So use the ‘07 trans as the parts box to make the ‘04 trans as compatible with the vehicle it’s going into. 

The ratios might be slightly different but since you’ve not got the EJ25 the 5th ratio should be the same and very little difference will be felt in any ratio changes.

What’s gone wrong with the ‘07 box? 

Cheers 

Bennie

44 minutes ago, el_freddo said:

ratios might be slightly different 

Drive gear ratios? I'm assuming differentials (both are 4.11) are exactly the same and don't need to be swapped. 

The 07 sounds like hell when driving especially in 3rd and pops out of 4th constantly. Otherwise it goes down the road at 70 mph alright. Owner just doesn't have any funds to have things rebuilt so used parts is her only option. I have plenty of tools and am helping for free.

There was a front right side brake locked up and a super sloppy driveshaft I resolved first when I started the work. Gonna have replaced almost all the engine and drivetrain by the time we are completed. 

So your saying the gearing speed ratios inside the tranny and not the ones in the differential? Do we need to just wait for one from an 06 - 08 (or is it 05 - 07)?

Edited by iriejedi