Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy rear bumper cover dent repair with heat?

Has anyone tried to right the dent in the rear plastic bumper cover on a Legacy heating it with the heat gun or boiling water as they show on Youtube videos? I have tried but never could get the plastic soft enough to yield.  Having no previous experience was afraid to go too hard on it with heat.

Perhaps I should have tried more heat? Or are 14' Subaru bumpers just made to be harder than the others? 

Edited by 740gle
rephrased better

4 minutes ago, lmdew said:

I have a dual element propane garage heater:

Mr. Heater, MH30T Double Tank Top Outdoor Propane Heater

Put it about 12" from the bumper and let it warm up.  Make sure you wear heavy leather gloves.

Works great!

So how hot should the plastic be? Too hot for the touch with bare hands? I never got it to the point where I could not hold my bare hand to it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2019 at 1:37 AM, lmdew said:

It becomes very soft and yes to hot to touch without a glove.  

Yep, got a real heat gun - 2 stages $24.97 at my local Home Depot, and it was easy. Thick, but not too thick gloves are indeed essential, or some thick cushion to push thru at the bumper on the inside.. It's not up to the level of work I would accept from the professional body shop, the corner is no longer creased on the outside as before, although there is still a little dent visible if you know where to look and scratches needs buffing, But given where I drive and park, and as I am not looking into selling or trading it - it looks good enough. 

Overall for less than an hour of work + $25 investment in a heat gun is pretty good.

Edited by 740gle
spelling
  • Like 2