Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2010 Subaru Forester Braking Issue

My daughters 2010 Forester will apply the brakes while driving without depressing the brake pedal. By the time you get pulled over the brakes are so hot they are smoking. You then have to wait 15 -20 minutes for them to release. This is an intermittent problem. All or the calipers, pads a rotors have been replaced as well as the master cylinder. I have even replaced the ABS module. I have been told that the ABS can not apply pressure to the break system. Some thing is applying pressure to all four calipers to the point that the car will not move after stopping. This is a scary and dangerous. Has any one else experienced any thing like this? I have called the local dealer and talked with a service tech that had no ideas.

is this a turbo equipped model?

has this happened with other drivers?

what is the history of the car? new to you? , wrecks, repairs, general condition etc.

anything odd with the brake pedal's position when this happens? does the car have a carpet or weather tech mat in the driver's floorboard? is it secure?

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan
  • Like 1

What kind of master cylinder is there?  Could be a problem either with the aftermarket master cylinder or the brake booster.  I remember having problems on my Ford van with the push rod been extended too far.

Good luck,

Sam

I ended up getting an OEM master cylinder from a junkyard to rule out the master cylinder.  It seems to have fixed the problem.  The after market  that i replaced the original with was causing the problem.  I has only been two days.  Fingers crossed.  

wow, bizarre.   that's got to feel good it's hopefully done with!

if it was doing this before the aftermarket MC and then doing the same thing after the aftermarket MC, then the MC probably wasn't the root cause. 

two different MC's would be unbelievably unlikely to have the same, otherwise unknown, failure mode. 

doing the replacement probably remedied a fluid or other issue?