Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nipper,

Its been a few years since we've crossed paths. Glad to be able to possibly help out.

I've done a lot of these switches over the years, to clean the contacts and to replace the bulbs inside. Do an eBay search for "2005 outback power seat switch", and then look at the various pictures that are posted. The side view pictures show that there are two spring clips, one at each bottom corner, on each side of the switch. Use a thin bladed knife to pry the side of the switch body away from the prongs that stick out through the side openings while pulling the bottom of the switch down away from them. Then do the other side of the switch the same way.

THEN put the entire switch assembly along, with your hands, inside a clear, large Zip Lock bag and then pull the bottom away from the top assembly (the bag ensures that any small spring loaded interior switch components won't end up lost on the garage floor. Been there, done that, and had to buy another switch when I couldn't find the parts).

Usually you can clean the contacts on the circuit board with one of those large pink erasers we all used in public school, or with electrical contact cleaner spray. Once clean, just push the switch back together until it clicks at each corner, test it, and reinstall. Good Luck!

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, gbhrps said:

...put the entire switch assembly along, with your hands, inside a clear, large Zip Lock bag and then pull the bottom away from the top assembly (the bag ensures that any small spring loaded interior switch components won't end up lost on the garage floor. Been there, done that, and had to buy another switch when I couldn't find the parts)...

Thanks for this great tip!

I too have lost lots of little miscellaneous bits and bobs all over the place.

• Like 1

Nipper,

I believe the knobs just pull off. Check out a Gogle search under "2005 outback power seat switch pictures". The first few images at the top of the page show the same switch without the knobs on them, and the 2nd image in the top row when clicked on, lists it as a Subaru for 2005 - 2009.

Gene