Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C question

I have a question about the factory Subaru dealer installed A/c on my 86 Brat.  When I initially brought her home, the blower did not run.  To fix, all I did was clean the contacts on the fuse and relay that is attached to a bracket on the passenger strut tower.  It is definitely the genuine Subaru system and not an aftermarket setup.

While I was testing, I noticed that no matter what setting I had the control slider set to, whether it be heat or a/c, the a/c compressor always kicked on.  I dont think this is normal.

Does anyone have any suggestions to troubleshoot?

Edited by Scoby4wd

If it is similar to my 86 ea82 wagon, it should have a controller.   The acompressor should run for a few seconds when any mode is selected from off.  But only cycle whIle in ac or defrost.  I found mine was running continuously in all modes, due to a hack mod someone had done before I bought it, that caused the compressor to run constantly in all modes.  The FSM helps a lot in figuring out this stuff.