Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wide open throttle !!

Hey gang..So I just got a 84 brat running after sitting 6 years? well I got it running but instead of purring it is ROARING !!   I can't  get it to idle down.The cable is loose so its something to do with the carb? I think ?? I'm going to check the power to the different wires on the carb and see if that  might be it ..Any thoughts ?/  Thanks PS..If i pull one of the spring loaded piston things it will come down some...but still..its a ha toch ee

Edited by old sub freak

Check that the throttle shaft turns freely.   Heck that the fast idle cam and choke linkages are all moving correctly.

The only wires should be a solenoid to shut off the fuel to prevent diesel ing when shut off, and the choke heater, which is supposed to gradually open the choke.  

There’s another issue that applies as well. 

The black plastic flying saucer/hat looking part upstream of the carburetor breaks apart and small pieces of the plastic end up in the carb. This caused one longtime board member to have a wide open throttle driving my former 86 Brat back after I sold it to him.

It really happened. Good luck , let us know what you found.

7 minutes ago, old sub freak said:

Well....Easy peasy Japanesy   I sprayed down all the linkage with PB Blaster...Ta Da Fixed it haha ,Yep just stuck linkage ..Got it to idle nice and on with the program...Its been through the mill BUT its a runner !! Thanks for the help !!

Must've been fuel varnish from sitting so long.

Pb blast is great, but it's a penetrating oil not really a lubricant so use it to free up stuck parts, clean with a wire brush a soft one like the brass colored wire or a stiff nylon brush. Then use brake cleaner and compressed air then use bike chain lube or white lithium is meant for metal on metal.

That's just what I would do, and you're probably way ahead of me judging by the ride you have. pb if not wiped off attracts dirt and I think corrodes steel eventually.

Cheers on the easy fix though! Now to drive her like you stolded her!

Edited by sparkyboy

Any type of wet lube attracts dirt. Like wd-40, chain lube, grease, etc. That’s what carb cleaner is for, to get rid of the garbage that is preventing the linkage from moving freely. If it has a cable going to the carb it could be frayed inside the cable housing and not allowing it to idle back down. I had that happen on a Datsun pickup.