Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door panels.

Hi all, i have an 87 GL coupe and an 85 GL wagon and the wagon has some serious cancer on the top of the door panels (where you rest your arms). The coupe is just starting. It looks like they used a cushy foan backed vinyl that was glued to a metal base. Is there a replacement vinyl that i can do all the doors with?  Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is to get some sheets of flexible foam (I used ones for a bed when camping) it's usually yellow of blue. Maybe try to find some thinner sections, cut it the desired shape and maybe try glueing it to the metal? Then for the outside you could try applying some vinyl from maybe a fabric store, with a glue or maybe sew it on before you glue the foam to the metal? I've not done this myself and this is all I can think of off the top of my head. You could always try finding one in a scrapyard and taking out some door cards, but good luck finding a coupe.

Custom door cards aren't unheard of though.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I will be doing this on a Loyale, but have a question.

I plan on using marine vinyl, but see it comes in 3 different styles.

1) vinyl, fabric backing

2) vinyl, foam 1/8" thick backing

3) vinyl, foam 1/4" thick backing

I'm thinking option #2 is the one I want, just asking to see if any of you have done this and which would be better?

20200608_065635.jpg

Edited by Checkerboard Comet

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the vinyl arrived yesterday. Yes, 1/8" thick foam marine grade vinyl is the exact duplicate material you want to get that OEM look.

I am on the process of removing the old vinyl off the plastic pieces and cleaning off all the contaminants (glue, foam, oils, etc.). I will post more pics as the progress moves along.

Pic is of plastic all cleaned up.

20200620_095223.jpg

Edited by Checkerboard Comet