Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2009 Forester Remote OEM Remote Start?

Has anyone ever installed the "OEM" Remote starters? Is there any benefit to installing the OE option as opposed to installing an after market deal.

The car is a '09 Fozzy 2.5 Auto. 

The one I have been looking at is this: https://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-forester-remote-engine-start-2009-2010-p-2337.html

Install guide seems simple enough - 
https://subaruonlineparts.com/pdf/H001SSC100.pdf

-Jusitn

I installed one in an 07.

Pretty easy.  Everything just plugs in no wire splicing.

But you will need to go tot he dealer to have the SSM programmed to match the RF id emitter that goes around the IG cylinder.  Without that, the car will not start.

IDK how an aftermarket system would even get around that.  If the RF ID from the key, or the emitter are not detected, the car won't start.  No matter what you do with the IG cylinder or wires you splice.  

It makes the car "hotwire" proof.  

I would ONLY install the OEM system.

• Like 1

I have installed Viper alarm/remote starters on various cars with immobilizers in them. To get around them you have to buy a bypass kit like XpressKit. To be honest with my wifes' car i don't want to go through all that hassle of installing an after market when the keyfob/alarm seems to be working pretty good. (I just want to add a remote start feature and this one at least promises integration as opposed to bypassing and splicing)

Have you had any troubles with the OEM one? Do you recall how much it was for the Dealership to program it? I only have 1 key at this time and wouldnt be turned off to making 1 trip out of it - programming the kit and getting another key. 

-Justin