Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 Loyale fun wagon

Probz

• 2 weeks later...

Gaskets arrived so i got the engine back together and in the car.

IMG_20200311_174551.jpg

IMG_20200315_103855.jpg

I finally decided to do the 6 lug swap. The original wheels with 13 inch dry rotted tires would not hold air anymore.

IMG_20200318_125042.jpg

Wheels came from Toyota Land Cruiser, they are 15inch and 8 inch wide. Finding the center to drill was pain to get accurate so i got 15mm washers with the 5mm insides so the 5mm drill bit fit exactly center.

IMG_20200318_152509.jpg

IMG_20200318_153152.jpg

IMG_20200319_133948.jpg

Wheels fit and look cool, but the front fenders need some trimming.

IMG_20200321_162229.jpg

IMG_20200321_162244.jpg

Tires are 195/70/R15 and they are kinda "stretched" for 8 inch wheels, but they were the only tires i had laying around.

Also crappy quality video of engine running for the first time after getting it back together.

Edited by Probz

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So today this happened:

WhatsApp_Image_2020-05-09_at_22.36.21.jp

WhatsApp_Image_2020-05-09_at_22.36.21_1_

Gonna be hard to find new rear control arms... We do not have any old subarus in our country. I might know where one loyale is but its cross country. Thinking of welding custom control arms that withstand the abuse. But first ill try to locate that other loyale i know and maybe score some control arms from that car and make them stronger.

• 4 weeks later...

No luck with rear control arm.

I can build whole new custom rear end but the problem is with cv axle. I can not find rear cv axle or cv joints ANYWHERE?

Can someone link me where can i find replacement rear axle?

• 1 month later...

Finally managed to score these bad boys:

IMG_20200627_142417.jpg

Control arms are in worse condition than the ones i got on my car, but since one of mine is bent and broken off i can use one of these, patch it up and make it stronger. Also i am super happy about rear axles. Now i even got a one spare one.

IMG_20200706_175401.jpg

IMG_20200706_182624.jpg

IMG_20200706_193607.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Car is back together, runs like a top.

12 degrees ignition advance, pulling decent vacuum, not so stable but still works good.

Installed accuspark rev limiter

Video of a short rip down the field, lost power steering pulley.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Its the end of an era!

Broke the rear end again, can't be breaking any more axles they are hard enough to find.

I guess ill be ditching the body in summer, taking the drivedrain and building tube chassis.

IMG_20210327_154404_2.jpg

IMG_20210327_154410_9.jpg

IMG_20210327_154422_6.jpg

I could build a custom rear end but frame is so rotten there is nowhere to weld, and ditching the weight of a body and building a buggy type frame has been always a dream of mine.

• 4 weeks later...

Cut the car to pieces, kept the drivedrain.

Made a little tribute video to my good times with my Subaru:

Won't be any more updates in this thread, it can be closed!

My plan is to use the drivedrain and build a tube chassis car, i will be making new thread once ive made some progress.

10 hours ago, Ionstorm66 said:

What was breaking in the rear end? The control arms?

First time broke the rear end bar on the left side where control arms fasten and left wheel was all tilted, welded it up. Second time broke right control arm and the wheel broke off and also broke the rightaxle. Got new control arm and reinforced it with steel bars. Last time broke the rear end bar on the right side and right wheel was heavily tiled.

Edited by Probz

3 hours ago, Probz said:

First time broke the rear end bar on the left side where control arms fasten and left wheel was all tilted, welded it up. Second time broke right control arm and the wheel broke off and also broke the rightaxle. Got new control arm and reinforced it with steel bars. Last time broke the rear end bar on the right side and right wheel was heavily tiled.

Damn, think it was all rust? I haven't managed to bend anything control arm related, just over extend some clapped out bushings.