Ultimate Subaru Message Board

biggman100,

In all of the years that I've owned subies (5 OutBacks since 97), I've never had to deal with an O2 sensor.

However, I do know that Toyota/Lexus and Nissan vehicles can be very fussy when it comes to specific spark plugs and O2 sensors (yes, I've owned many of each over the years, and presently as well). The Nissan's love NGK spark plugs, and aftermarket ones can cause issues with certain engines. Toyota/Lexus vehicles do best with the OEM Denso O2 sensors, while aftermarket ones just aren't agreeable in certain engines.

I guess what I'm saying is, my advice to your friend is to go OEM with the sensors and know they'll work with her engine. The aftermarket ones may do the job, but maybe not. If they don't work, she can't take them back at that point, and will still be forced to buy the OEM units to get the car to pass emissions.

Aftermarket works for wiper blades, tires, and brake parts, but not always with engine parts and emissions.

Edited by gbhrps

off brand o2 sensors are not a good idea.. might work, but then again, might not and the money might as well have been tossed out a window. (fwiw - once installed, you can not usually return an o2 sensor)

if they were my friends, I would urge them to get the right parts, buy them once, fix it once and be done with it for a long time.

Unusual to have problems with Bosch as they are the originators of O2 sensors(but this doesn't make them immune from issues).

I have replaced in a 98 IOB and a 97 Legacy with Bosch and never had issues.

Denso, NTK and Bosch are what I usually recommend., all of whom have been oem suppliers at one time or another.

O.