Sign in to follow this  
whobodym

Lame Coding of New Subaru Gadgets

I'm the owner from new of a 2017 Forester XT Touring (2.0 turbo CVT, the most-loaded Forester model), my first ever Subaru.  Compared to my other recent cars, a Mazda and an Audi, the Subaru has a significant number of minor annoyances about how its electronic gadgets are programmed to work.  I have gotten zero satisfaction from Subaru about any update fixes for these, and even nearly zero comprehension of what I'm talking about.  So even a futile gesture of publicizing my beefs can't make anything worse and I'll type my list here, for anyone patient and geeky enough to persist in hearing me out: 1) the seat position memory slowly loses its place for height, and without a reset every 6 weeks or so of driving, moves to max height every time the car is unlocked; 2) the key cannot be permanently left in my pants pocket, because an unintended "butt unlock" by me from inside our house while housecleaning or whatever will leave the car permanently unlocked, or even with tailgate open, out on the street in front of our house until I notice; 3) the auto headlights are way too slow to react to driving into a tunnel or parking garage; 4) the "set / enter / go back / up / down" logic of the upper center info screen is nightmarishly unintuitive to operate; 5) there is non-stop beeping, but no help message, if you happen to shift to Park after you shut off the engine rather than before; 6) the stereo cannot be muted or shut off while the transmission is in Reverse; 7) the radio preset #1 button accidentally gets pushed often when I'm only reaching for the volume knob; 8) no auto-door-lock when you drive away; 9) the auto-zoom function for the nav screen is seldom appropriate in behavior; 10) despite being heavily marketed to skiers and winter drivers, the car cannot remember 8 tire pressure sensors at once and must visit a dealer twice per year when winter tire rims are mounted and dismounted; 11) the owner's manual on one page plainly implies that fancy Foresters (with "Type B" instruments) do not have a low oil level warning light while faintly suggesting on another page that there is one (a very tiny symbol for one shows, and is labeled merely "warning message"); 12) there is a "bong" chime, pleasant and musical, that occurs singly and infrequently and only on long trips, with no explanation I can see in the owner's manual or on the dashboard.  If you've read this far, please understand I know most of these are trivial.  But some are risky and/or annoying on a daily basis.  And others are just SO DUMB.  AND THERE ARE TWELVE OF THEM!!   Thanks for letting me rant, and if anyone wants to ramp up my pressure campaign, have at it.  

Get another vehicle, should have plenty of value it's not a big deal.  you're wanting more than you'll ever get and you'll be unhappy with it.  

In general Subaru's have never excelled at refined electronics and the current auto market (of which buyers help create) doesn't support robust updates and refining of systems already in use.

Also, all companies are managing escalating rates of electronic use and complexity, which is more true each year than it was the previous year and often without a commensurate level of refinement across the board. 

• Like 1

yeah, some of those same complaints over at subaruoutback.org as well.

those issues you feel are safety-related, please enter a complaint with NHTSA - if enough folks do, it may trigger a recall.

as far as what could be altered by the user, or what updates may or may not come from Subaru - I dunno but, as said above, likely your experience will never improve much so, trade it in asap.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan