Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Actually 5" of Extra legroom Forester

My 08 Forester is a little cramped and decided I needed a little more legroom, so I removed the driver seat and drilled/carved a couple more
holes in the seat track so the locking claw would catch about 1" further back.

I love it. 1 inch makes a huge difference. I don't think it  will cause  problem with the airbag. There is a small sensor that seems to be engaged only at the very rearward limit of the seat track. and the only thing I can seem to determine is that is allows full force expansion of the airbag when engaged. With the extra slots the sense plate is past the sensor and probably no longer activates/inhibits it.. 

of course I then found http://extendmyseat.com/forester/,. Well I saved $265 maybe,

Edited by uniberp1

After a week or so, the 1" didn't make any difference.

I bought an installed the extendmyseat.com floor mounts and the difference is huge. Massively more comfortable. Feels like a totally different car. 2008 Forester (frameless windows)

I'm only 5'11" with a 32 inseam and this new setup  lets me stretch completely.

The mounts required a little modification: drilled a new rear hole 1" forward on the left mount , and cut a notch to get around a driveshaft tunnel reinforcement on the right.
They are heavy made. 10 guage,

The OEM rear right bolt is barely long enough to grab the threads, but once caught it bolts down securely. Start all bolts as loosely as possible, then tighten.

Once the mounts are in the seat mounts flex enough to match up to the extend holes, with some persuading. 

The mounts are listed for 2008-2013, but I they may have meant 2009-2013 (windowframe cars).

Edited by uniberp1