Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Left Tail-Light Assembly For '86 GL or Lenses?

Or the part number. Or a source. Subie girl got hit in her left rear today, first contact she's ever had with another car. Poor fella' was driving a Nissan Versa and Subie girl wiped out his front quarter panel and headlight. Subie girl's damage"? Broken tail-light. That's the difference between a solid steel bumper and newer cars that are made out of tinfoil.

Edited by Subarule
added to title

Will a loyale wagon one fit?

Or is poor subie girl a sedan? Either way i got ya hopefully!

This is the first time i have ever said this, but i hope you don't have a two door hatch in this situation. (Were they ever called three doors?)

I feel your pain a few years ago i was sitting at a red light minding my own business in my 77 camaro and an idiot in a mercedes texting rear ended me. The impact pushed the passenger side quarter down about 1/32 inches and forward about 1/16 inch.

She was arrow strait until then but about to be top notch again 

Edited by sparkyboy

2 hours ago, Subarule said:

That's the difference between a solid steel bumper and newer cars that are made out of tinfoil.

You must mean the 87+ GL's That had the styrofoam backed plastic bumpers. Yup....Newer. LoL. 

There's very little difference between your 86 GL and most newer cars except you are MUCH more likely to be very dead in a collision with your GL and my '69 GMC 2500. 

By 1986 they were using the same tinfoil they use today (body panel thickness). Just a lot less plastic, less engineered crumple zones, and far fewer safety features. Being unibody, any significant impact will total the GL regardless. 

GD

Yup the old american steel are straight up tanks! I remember seeing some really old video footage of some of the earliest goofing around with automobiles. Not even black and white but that like brown before that. I remember a bunch of dudes were racing wood wheel cars like the 20s and the part that stood out to me is how easy they got stuck in the mud, and how these two fools went too fast down a hill and a tree square on. They bounced off the tree! Those early bumpers were leaf springs! It was hilarious

Its too bad us built cars went to the thin japanese style steel! My xt is a super tin can only 3300 pounds! Gm always had the proper boat for the retiree or grandma. Buick roadmaster wagon with the ball on the steering wheel? I think gm had the prettiest compacts too, yes including subarus gorgeous offerings.

My lightweight in the stable is my 88 audi q90. She came from the factory at 2800 lbs!! No not 3800. They used galvanized aluminum so no rust! 

@GeneralDisorder

I remember reading some old posts while searching around, do you still have the third gen firebird? 69 gmc pickup very cool!

I love all classics but muscle cars take the cake.

Drive carefully everyone! 

The traffic was taking off from a light and there were several cars ahead of me but the left lane was open. The Nissan Versa behind made a sudden decision to hop over into the left lane and didn't allow enough clearance and clipped my driver side tail light. It sounded so much worse than it was. It was a high school kid, with his mom. He probably only has a learner's permit. A real nice kid - I thought he was going to cry. He legs were shaking.He kept saying how sorry he was and  I felt so bad for him . They had insurance but my damage is so minimal (surprisingly) that I don't want insurance involved or to mess him up in any way. 

Just now, Subarule said:

Here is what I need, but for the left side. The newer the better. Ebay has a used one but it's kind of a mess. My right looks pretty pristine so I'd like one that matches. If a new one can be sourced that would be ideal.

Tail Light Assembly.jpg

I think I have a spare one of these sitting around, I think it's in OK shape but not pristine. I'll send a picture tonight so you can see if you want it. It's either from an '86 or from a box of unknown-year Loyale parts I got from a neighbor, IIRC they look and fit exactly the same.

Just now, wclarkson said:

I think I have a spare one of these sitting around, I think it's in OK shape but not pristine. I'll send a picture tonight so you can see if you want it. It's either from an '86 or from a box of unknown-year Loyale parts I got from a neighbor, IIRC they look and fit exactly the same.

That would be great. I know there are a few out there, it's just finding them. I stopped at the local Subaru dealer just to see if they listed them. I knew they wouldn't be able to locate one but I did get a part #: 84201GA860