Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dumb wheel bearing questions

So I'm redoing all the worn out front end parts on my 91 wagon 4WD. While browsing around looking for front end wheel bearings, I see some with the built in dust shield and some without. Does it matter? Or should I spring the extra few cents? Would I still need the Wherl seals? I've only ever replaced rear bearings and never front ones. I know how, just dont want to mess up and have to redo it. 

48 minutes ago, lrgvanman said:

As far as the seals go the old ones will probably get distorted when you pull them out so you may as well just change them

I don't think he measn the inner and outer wheel seals.  

He means the roller bearings some are open cages and some are "sealed" with a dust shield of rubber (RS) or a metal plate (ZZ)

I personally like to get the ones with the rubber shield RS.  And then I pry the side seals off of each bearing, pack the with grease, then reinstall one dust shield on each bearing.

Install them with the open sides facing in towards the spacer.  

I fill that spacer area between the 2 bearings with about 30% with grease.  Too full is no good, but you want some grease to spread when it gets hot int here.

still use the factory wheels seals inner and outer but the dust shield in the bearing helps as a secondry barrier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FerGloyale said:

still use the factory wheels seals inner and outer but the dust shield in the bearing helps as a secondry barrier.

That's what I was thinking! Cause more protective measures the better. I've seen where people pack some grease in the spacer. I just didnt know if it was worth it to get the extra seals or not. And I'm going to install new wheel seals cause I dont want to ever have to redo these! Lol

I do what @FerGloyale does too and it works well so long as you don’t throw too much grease in the space between the bearings. 

It’s also necessary to prime the outer seals with rubber grease to prevent them from destroying themselves due to friction. I’ve learnt that the hard way! 

Cheers 

Bennie

• Thanks 1

I am personally of the opinion that this design was originally intended to use 7207 bearings for axial thrust capability. We used them effectively in some rally applications. We added a .005" shim to the spacers to get the bearing temp down a bit after some testing. Worked really well and never had another failure after we switched to axial thrust bearings. 

GD

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, GeneralDisorder said:

I am personally of the opinion that this design was originally intended to use 7207 bearings for axial thrust capability. We used them effectively in some rally applications. We added a .005" shim to the spacers to get the bearing temp down a bit after some testing. Worked really well and never had another failure after we switched to axial thrust bearings. 

GD

How did you install these 7207s, face to face with thrust sides pointed into the hubs?

Edited by czny