Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear caliper stuck on top slider stud

92 front wheel drive Legacy 

right rear caliper

top stud is moving , as in its loose but I can’t seem to get a good enough grip on the stud to then try to loosen the caliper off of it. So when I pivoted the caliper upward the stud was turning itself out and no matter what I did I couldn’t get the caliper to slide off the stud.

It was getting dark and I just had to leave it. I’m sure I’ll get it freed up but just had to vent and see who says what for advice.

I used propane flame and a 2 lb hammer but I’m afraid I’m going to destroy the caliper casting. 

Its at a point that I can’t slide it off nor can I return it to a position that allows the caliper to seat back down with new pads. I really just want it off entirely now so I can remove the rust , get a new stud , and who knows what else.

The whole job went up and down but success was had and it was wrap up time. Don’t you know this had to happen. Replaced bearing and parking shoes firstly the saw I had fresh pads in stock. 

I did soak it with PB Blaster before I  left it for the night. 

A lot of that stuff on rockauto is closeout so they don't even want a core. 

You can also easily upgrade to newer model rear discs. Like a 97 Outback, etc. The rears don't have the wheel clearance requirements like the fronts do and all the parking brake stuff should be the same. 

GD

If oxy torch isnt an option Hammer and large chisel in exact direction it needs to move and it’ll come off without compromising damage if it’s now moving.  The ones that don’t move at all until WAILING a few dozens times are the ones that start getting damaged. Ive mangled a few of those pins good but always reusable. 

Work it back and forth rotating and pounding it out and it’ll come I guarantee it.  Just keep at it. 

Rain delay.

Should be back at it later today. I took the whole bracket off. Had to relocate the car so I clamped the piston and didn’t hit the brakes anyways - blessed are the manual shifts in times like this!!

First order will be disconnecting the line and getting the unit to a workable place , and maybe heat and beat. Although when I saw what I’d done already in daylight I’ve peen’d the casting over at the stud trying to beat it back on. So I’ll be shopping for a caliper and stud. 

Easy enough in the end.

Went to Autopart International as they’ve been very reliable with having items in stock. Pay a little more but I never have any problems. 

Hillbilly bleed of the brakes using a 2x2 of a particular length and the drivers seat. Works , done it several times. When you’re alone and don’t have the bleeder tool you improvise. 

Nice parking brake once again. Good pedal action , all back to normal.

• Like 2