Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What to replace when rebuilding

My son and I are rebuilding a 1983ish EA81 engine to use at his discretion. Everything seems to be in good shape except for a blown head gasket. Our question is what mechanical parts should be replaced (pistons, rods, lifters, push rods, valves, valve springs, etc) when rebuilding. Yes new gasket set, bearings, possible water pump and oil pump. Any help would be appreciated! 

Jeff 

Minneapolis, MN

A lot of that is going to depend on what is still available.

Oil pumps are NLA from Subaru. There are some hoarded NOS ones around, but getting somebody to let go of one is challenging. 

If it didn't have any issues before with oil consumption or an obvious knock, I would just replace the head gaskets and roll with it. The pros will chime in with some better insight shortly I know. 

Good luck!

Dan

• Like 1

I would not split the case.

I would replace the Oil Pump Seals (kit available from subaru still for ~$50)

Repalce Crank seals front an back.

New HGs 

Resael oil pan with "the Rgiht Stuff" or other quality RTV. Throw the cork gasket away.

MAYBE pull the pistons and replace rings. 

But again, there is not gonna be any real benefit to splitting the case to go after rod bearings.  

• Like 1

Unless it just needs a reseal and head surfacing, it's not feasible to rebuild one. You can't get the parts to do so effectively. Primarily if the oil pump is scored to rat $hit then you cannot get a replacement and probably the bottom end is shot anyway. So inspect the oil pump - if it's good then reseal the engine and run it as-is. Rebuilding is no longer feasible. And keep this in mind when using the engine also - replacement parts are non existent. 

Better to just get an EJ22.

GD

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, scoobydube said:

Since you probably have the engine out of the car, I would also replace the water pump, all timing belt idlers and timing belts.  Because they are a pain to change them out once the engine is back in the car.

Considering the EA81 doesn’t have timing belts it’s always going to be a pain in the arse to change them out... or not. 

5 hours ago, GeneralDisorder said:

Better to just get an EJ22.

Sorry, do my eyes deceive me or am I reading this correctly?

After a few other posts in recent months I’m surprised to see you write this GD!

7 hours ago, Metalman1 said:

My son and I are rebuilding a 1983ish EA81 engine to use at his discretion.

When you say to use at his discretion, what sort of uses could it see? 

If this is a learning project it could be worth your time to do a full tear down and re-assembly using only the items that need replacing for a successful start up (such as head gaskets). 

Cheers 

Bennie

2 hours ago, scoobydube said:

Since you probably have the engine out of the car, I would also replace the water pump, all timing belt idlers and timing belts.  Because they are a pain to change them out once the engine is back in the car.

The EA81 doesn’t have timing belts.  but they’re easily and routinely done in the vehicle. 

Hey everyone 

Thanks for all the feedback! Yes this is just a rebuild project my son wants to do. If it runs afterwards, great! But no big deal if it doesn't! He would like to possibly use it in another project of ours, a done buggy! But that's later down the road!

Thanks again