Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T factory "intercooler" paint scheme ?

Just wondering the colours used on the alloy intercooler (between turbo and throttle body) for the recessed lettering SUBARU 4WD TURBO on the flat manifold Series 1 variety

I have only ever had black paint for all four words. Think I have seen one item done in a hammer tone with SUBARU 4WD in black and TURBO in red

I am sort of partial to natural alloy even though I do my propane manifolds in a Green enamel copying Ford Australia giving their dedicated LPG Falcon rocker covers in a similar green to suggest LPG is a little greener fuel than wet fuel.

In half a mind to do similar hammer tone...but want to do 4WD in red to match the mudflaps and Subaru turbo in black.

Question is ...were all done in black or did some variants or markets get the red lettering?

Hey, it may not be a finned intercooler but it is a darn sight better than the folded tin pipes the turbo Cordia got!

There was never a factory-intercooled EA-series engine.

Are you talking about the cast  aluminum elbow between the turbo and the throttle body?  EA81Ts were black crinkle paint with raised letters that had been ground to a natural finish.  EA82Ts were raw aluminum, recessed letters with black paint in the recesses.

I THINK.  Can confirm this afternoon.

Yeah man. What happened to my punctuation things that I meant to put around the word "intercooler" to communicate in further detail to avoid typing

START QUOTE

"the cast a!minimum elbow between the turbo and throttle body"

END QUOTE

so readers would get me?

Thought the bean counters were a bit mean ending that raised lettering to be hit with crinkle/wrinkle finish then file finish the top for a sexy look - when it came to the EA82T

It is a very crude, basic pipe that offers "some" intercooler, but not what most are used to in air/air or waic

But yeah we are on the same page.

The dressed up one I saw obviously not genuine finish but I did not know if it was copying a particular year or market style or an individual flair/talent

Pics speak words better, so here is my finished product done in Dulux MetalShield Hammered finish 300 gram spray tin - colour is Silver and looks so close to bare alloy until look closer.

Red is Humbrol model enamel gloss #220

Black is a left over gloss enamel by Solver made on 18SEP 1991

I think I most always prefer a satin / brushed finish to polished for these things so flat sanded with 600 then 400 wet and dry paper - only in dry form

IMG_20190510_121033.jpg

• Like 2

Now thinking back, my FWD Vortex turbo came missing some bits including "air intake duct" as the FSM refers to part #4 in one diagram. I guess it was either blank or had FWD recessed but FWD nut much of a claim to much is it? :)

Point taken Carfreak. I just figured it is getting hot with use so the heat is coming from somewhere. Given its rubber insulation at both ends it likely gets the heat from the inside therefore maybe some initial cooling but nothing after a certain point. No drop in boost pressure from one end to the other either.

Just looked in here to see the sexy photo :)

Bumper mount intercooler yo! Or water in place of the a/c condenser. Then you can keep the cool elbow and no need for a scoop for extra sleeper mode.

Mine has 4wd in black...the red 4wd is sharp!

59807222_854199528246538_728164056669618

Edited by sparkyboy

Well that looks like every other factory air intake duct I have seen . I have another somewhere I think...might do it with TURBO in red, the rest in black. Got one with a blow off valve fitted up too , needs work on the venting side

MY feeling is that the aluminum elbow, while cool, adds heat to the intake charge and that its shape is a restriction and hurts power output compared to a round tube.

That said, I have not done anything about it and both my EA81Ts still have that part installed at this point.

• Thanks 1

These early turbos are not really race engines just the cast iron and alloy snail makes then poke along a bit better. Have now found three of my alloy "intake air ducts" and one is all black, the other, devoid of any paint so it is already prepared for painting. No one took too much pride in the finish of these at factory or foundry level judging by the almost sharp dags still on all these castings