Ultimate Subaru Message Board

17 inch Forester Wheels on 01 Legacy

the wheels will most likely bolt up, the real question is if there is clearance to the spring perch on the strut.

fwiw, i put early gen forester wheels (15") on my 95 Legacy (stock wheel was 14"), but it was also sitting on Forester struts, so there was plenty of clearance.

Just now, heartless said:

the wheels will most likely bolt up, the real question is if there is clearance to the spring perch on the strut.

fwiw, i put early gen forester wheels (15") on my 95 Legacy (stock wheel was 14"), but it was also sitting on Forester struts, so there was plenty of clearance.

Thanks for the info. Thought switching to bigger tires might be bad for the drivetrain.

you could still use the larger wheels, but would have to put a lower profile tire on them to clear the spring perch if you are running stock suspension.

there are some great on-line tire size calculators out there to help you figure out what size tire you would need to make it work and even keep your speedo/odo very close to correct.

1 hour ago, heartless said:

you could still use the larger wheels, but would have to put a lower profile tire on them to clear the spring perch if you are running stock suspension.

there are some great on-line tire size calculators out there to help you figure out what size tire you would need to make it work and even keep your speedo/odo very close to correct.

+1^

http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Most probably a 55 profile, as that is stock on the legacy. 70's will rub.

O.

Yes. Foresters are still 5x100 bolt pattern, so the wheels will fit. Offset is probably 5-7 mm different, depending on the year, but that's a pretty small difference.

As has been mentioned, the tires from that forester will almost certainly hit the strut, and possibly bodywork as well, again depending on the year (tire size).

With the correct tires, the wheels would fit. And you could probably go a bit oversized if you wanted, but Legacy front struts do not leave much room.